Training and Certification

last person joined: 4 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
  • 1.  E-Reader for books.

Posted 02-13-2014 09:39

I have been printing books at work and getting tired of lugging around paper. I have a laptop but its not the best for reading. So I am looking for a e-reader thats not tied to one service and can display PDFs primarily.

Which e-reader are you using to read Junos books and study guides?

Can you change the font size?

Do the diagrams display clearly?

Is it tough enough to be around a toddler?

• 2.  RE: E-Reader for books.

Posted 02-13-2014 11:35

Hi OLeif,

Personally I use a Google Nexus and before that I was using the Kindle Fire HD.  Both had clear screens and displayed the images well.  You can pinch to zoom and with the Adobe app you can just keep scrolling down so you aren't turning pages as such.

I don't have a toddler to test the durability on, however they have travelled a lot on aircraft and have survived therefore they are well built.

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: E-Reader for books.

Posted 02-13-2014 12:07

I really like "iAnnotate for PDF"

It is not really a reader but it lets you do reading functions and also search, place post it's and do other documentation overlay functions. 

• 4.  RE: E-Reader for books.

Posted 02-14-2014 07:47

Hi Oleif,

I tend always to carry a (e-reader) sony prs-t1, with a simply root modified android firmware, the instalation of Orion Viewer is great for image based pdf. Else the reader is outstanding and lasts for ages for the battery to run down.

Cheers!

• 5.  RE: E-Reader for books.
    Best Answer

Posted 02-14-2014 09:32

I have several e-readers.  The answer is, "it depends".  But, the overal best usage category is using iPad with GoodReader and PDF's.

I've used tech books in the formats of .mobi .epub and .pdf.  Each has their own advantages.  .mobi, because the Kindle is so small and light, and easy to read on.  .epub if you are an iPad user.  But, the largest disadvantage of them is that those formats muck up code examples, and images (while viewable) are not easy to get to for reference.

Safari Books Online has a decent app, but it does not let you annotate or share information.

All my studies and research have been using PDF formats using GoodReader.  GoodReader is more featureful than any other app out there, and you can annotate to your hearts content!  Pop-up notes, highlights, arrows, etc.  The downside, is that the iPad can be more heavy and bulky than the other e-readers. 

But, overall, it fills the needs the best.  Just my $0.02  Good Luck!

• 6.  RE: E-Reader for books.

Posted 02-14-2014 12:01

I use an original iPad with both the ibooks and Adobe pdf readers.  The main thing I like is the screen size and having full color.  At the time serveral years ago the other reader options were both small and B/W.  My older eyes like having the larger screen size so when I zoom in on drawings more is still visible.

I have found this a great convenience to have documentation up separately on the reader while working on the main screen for the actual machine sessions.  This has been especially helpful in labbing scenarios.

And having the internet search for documenation with zoom has also proved a bonus at times.