Training and Certification

last person joined: 8 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
  • 1.  Is JNCIA lateral to CCENT while JNCIS is lateral to CCNA?

Posted 07-30-2014 06:55

Hi All,

I've just completed about 6 of the day one books and just cracked open the JNCIA book. I found in the introduction that the JNCIS is available immediately, as in you do not need to take JNCIA to attempt it.

"Please be aware that the JNCIA-M certification is not a prerequisite for further certification in the M-series Routers & T-series Routing Platforms track."

With that said, I am curious which one I should be going for? I have a current CCNP and CCNA certification in routing and switching, and Cisco is and will be my main skillset, but I wanted some Juniper credentials as well. Considering I am new to JUNOS, it seems logical that I should go for JNCIA, but if it's lateral to CCENT (i.e. not really taken seriously), then I'm wondering if I should go right now JNCIS?

Is JNCIA lateral to CCNA or CCENT?

• 2.  RE: Is JNCIA lateral to CCENT while JNCIS is lateral to CCNA?
    Best Answer

Posted 07-30-2014 16:17

Those are the older versions of the study guides.  Originally you could take any exam in any order.  And as a result there were a lot of topics covered in both exams.

A few years ago the exam content was streamed and became a track system.  You can still take the exams in any order but you won't get certification as JNCIS without taking the JNCIA exams.

See the track organization page for the details.  The three tabs on this page show the old system versus the new one.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/certification-tracks/

• 3.  RE: Is JNCIA lateral to CCENT while JNCIS is lateral to CCNA?

Posted 08-11-2014 09:43

Gotcha.  Thanks Steve.  Appreciate the info.

Btw, should I be using a more up to date study guide?  I had thought the one I was using was the most recent one.