Training, Certification, and Career Topics
Contributor
berky
Accepted Solution

JNCIE - path/track comparison

I'm trying to determine if I want to go the ER or the M series path for the JNCI[ASE] certifications and I can't find anything that lists some basic information regarding the major differences between the two. I've read the descriptions of the certs, but they sound very similar.  I'm slightly leaning toward the ER track since there's no 'P' step in the path, but I wanted to check to see if there was some kind of nice chart or table that compared the 2 paths.

Thanks.

Distinguished Expert
Screenie

Re: JNCIE - path/track comparison

Hi,

It's my understanding that M-series covers IS-IS what isn't the case with ER. On top of that advanced BGP configs like route reflectors and confederiations. That's all I know about it....

best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Contributor
berky

Thanks for the response. I was hoping that there would be more information.  I'll probably end up just doing the "easier" route (ie. less certs --> ER path)

Recognized Expert
JCert

Hi,

There are actually several differences between the exams.  The JNCIE-M has SP-centric topics, such as MPLS, MPLS VPNs, IGPs including IS-IS, BGP from a SP perspective, etc.  The JNCIE-ER has enterprise-centric topics, VRRP, IPSec, GRE, OSPF, etc.

You can check out the differences in objectives here, they're noticeable when you line them up side by side:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/resources_jnciem.html

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/resources_jncieer.html

Since the IE exams follow on from the JNCIA/S/P exams, you can also get some more info on the differences by checking the objectives for the lower exams.

Cheers

Recognized Expert
sfouant

berky wrote:

Thanks for the response. I was hoping that there would be more information.  I'll probably end up just doing the "easier" route (ie. less certs --> ER path)

I personally wouldn't say the "easier" route is the one with less certs.  In fact, one of the things I like about the M/T series track is that it is a more natural progression and allows one to gauge their understanding of the topics in an ordered fashion, before moving on to the next higher layer certification.

The JNCIP-M exam would be mutually beneficial to those who are pursuing either the JNCIE-M or the JNCIE-ER exam, as the focus on IGPs and BGPs will be infinitely valuable in either of those tracks.

The ER track is going to be undergoing some changes in the near future...

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ENT, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks

Follow us on Twitter @JuniperEducate

--
If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Kudos are always appreciated!
Contributor
Tankl

Would be the ER track same as M track, come out with JNCIP-ER as pre-requirement for JNCIE-ER?

any news on it?

Juniper Employee
Mister_Bill

Hello All,

The ER track is focused on the challenges associated with an enterprise, meaning a large company who isn't an ISP. The M-series track is based on testing the tasks relevant to an ISP. You won't cover ISIS in the ER track as it is today, you also won't need to worry about things like Layer 3/2 VPNs, MPLS, Ibgp confederations etc. Those things are reserved for the ISP side (M-series). The ER track focuses more on redundancy, tunneling, encryption, complex nat and stateful firewalls and site to site routing. Both tracks are very challenging but the certifications yield a tremendous amount of respect in the industry. Basically it depends on where you wish to hang your hat, ISP routing or Enterprise routing.

Check out these links for full descriptions of each track:

ER

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/er_track.html

M&T

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/mt_series_track.html

Hope this helps!

-Bill Ahlstrom

JNTCP

Exam Developer / Proctor

JNCIE-M #343

JNCIE-ER #37

JNCInstructor

Juniper Employee
Mister_Bill

We will be changing the tracks between now and the end of 2010. Once we do all 3 Junos related tracks will line up symetrically, with the same exam levels for all 3 tracks.

-Bill Ahlstrom

JNTCP

Exam Developer / Proctor

JNCIE-M #343

JNCIE-ER #37

JNCInstructor

Juniper Employee
Mister_Bill

Fewer certs, yes. Easier...I wouldn't be so sure. I found the ER track more difficult, partially because I came from a service provider background.

-Bill Ahlstrom

JNTCP

Exam Developer / Proctor

JNCIE-M #343

JNCIE-ER #37

JNCInstructor

Contributor
berky

So are you saying that each track will have an A, S, P, and IE ??

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.