Training and Certification

last person joined: 8 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
Expand all | Collapse all

JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

• 1.  JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-05-2010 09:05

Hello! I'm now building a Juniper lab for the JNCIP-ENT and the JNCIE-ENT, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the anticipated hardware models and software versions will be?

I'm looking at buying a stack of maybe 8 or 9 J2350s and three or four EX4200s. Will this be sufficient? I just want to make sure I can run through the excercises in the offical study material (the stuff for purchase on juniper.net) once it's released, as well as the new book Marshke is writing.

Much appreciated!

• 2.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-05-2010 10:20

Hi Freely,

The ENT exams are designed around Junos routing and switching topics from an Enterprise perspective, and so your plan looks good.  The s/w version will be something fairly recent, likely something in the 10.x/11.x range,, with the exact version depending on when the timings for development / alpha / beta. H/w is still being finalized, but again the exams cover Junos features as opposed to corner-case platform-specific features, and so you should be good to go with your J Series for routing and EX Series for switching.

BTW, you may be able to reduce your h/w costs by virtualizing your equipment using logical systems, routing-instances, etc.  See http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.3/topics/concept/junos-logical-interfaces-logical-systems-overview.html for more information.

Regards,

Kieran Milne

Tech Lead, JNCP

• 3.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-05-2010 19:02
    I'm curious that when would the relevant information be avaiable for the JNCIX-SP track?

• 4.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-05-2010 19:33

Hi Chen Ming,

Good question, and the answer is actually largely the same.  The SP exams are designed around Junos routing and switching topics, but of course from the SP perspective.

Watch for the s/w version to be something fairly recent, in the 10.x/11.x range.

And the same general comment for h/w, it's still being finalized, but expect the exams to cover Junos features as opposed to corner-case platform-specific features.  That said, to be clear, while routing features are fairly common across many Junos devcies, SP switching features are only found in MX Series devices.

Regards,

Kieran Milne

Tech Lead, JNCP

• 5.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-06-2010 02:35
    Hi , Just a query since the mentioned Junos for JNCIE-ENT would be junos 10.X/11.X. And since the SRX devices also support these junos and all the commands and features are same related to routing on both the SRX and J-series platforms can we go ahead with SRX appliances like 210 or 100 series which can be a cost effective solution in building the home lab. Can someone please advice on the same. these are just my assumptions. Regards Sushil

• 6.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-06-2010 10:22

Hi Sushil,

You are correct, the small SRX devices can be a very good choice in building a home lab for the JNCIE-ENT.

I can also tell you that both J Series and SRX Series devices are a good choice to prepare for the JNCIE-SEC exam.

Regards,

Kieran Milne

Tech Lead, JNCP

• 7.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-06-2010 15:02

Well this is a little confusing to me... ENT would still focus on packet and not flow modes right? Or are we looking at some sort of mixed modes here?

• 8.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-06-2010 19:23

Hi Koushik,

The exams focus on topic areas, not device modes. That said, I understand what you're asking, as J Series and SRX Series devices run flow-mode Junos (which by default allows no traffic through the device).  A flow mode device can be made fairly transparent (i.e. run similar to packet mode) with some basic configuration, and a test candidate would be well advised to know how to do that.

Cheers,

Kieran

• 9.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-07-2010 04:02

Have the exam topics here been posted yet?  Or the scenario to be used in the lab exam?

The question here is what equipment should one have in a home lab to prepare for the Professional and Expert ENT exam.  This level is the lab so I assume you won't be asking procedural questions or general knowledge on configuration but asking the candidate to implement a configuration. 

So will the lab have SRX devices or just routers and switches?

If it only has routers will they have enhanced services to configure in the lab scenario?

• 10.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-07-2010 05:57

Hi Steve,

We're still several months away from release of the new lab exams, so no exam topic list yet.

The lab exams will be conceptually similar to the current lab exams, so yes, based on actual configuration and troubleshooting, etc.

We are still finalizing hardware for the labs, but there a reasonable chance the 'routers' will be SRX devices, and so yes, you would be dealing with enhanced services, i.e. flow-based Junos.  The 'switches' are a bit easier to predict, as enterprise switching means EX devices.

Cheers,

Kieran

• 11.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-07-2010 04:22
    Hi Jcert, Thanks for your prompt response. I am very curious to know that will the JNCIE-SEC will be purely based only on SRX devices making the candidate only a SRX product expert or will the cert cover all the juniper security product portfolio like SSL, STRM & UAC which will help the candidate in becoming a complete juniper security products expert much like the CCIE-Security. Just very curious to know would be really glad if you can share some info on the same. JNCIE-Sec looks very exciting. Thanks & Regards Sushil

• 12.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-07-2010 06:02

Hi Sushil,

I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to your question... yet. 🙂  You can expect SRX device functionality for sure, but I don't have details on anything more at the moment.

Regards,

Kieran

• 13.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-07-2010 23:44
    Hi Jcert, Thanks for your reply. we will wait patiently for the official announcement to be out. Thanks & Regards Sushil

• 14.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 10-08-2010 17:39

With those code releases, I assume most of the tasks will be handled in flow mode, right? You said above that somebody should know how to create the same functionality as packet mode in flow mode, but flow will now be the default (as opposed to the JNCIE-ER), correct?

• 15.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions
    Best Answer

Posted 10-09-2010 13:14

Hi Freely,

Yes with these releases, on SRX and J series, we are talking flow-based Junos.  And so if these devices are used in the ENT exam, yes you would need to know how to deal with flow mode.  To be clear, I'm not necessarily suggesting that making the device run 'like packet mode' is a task of the exam, it's more an implicit component of working with flow-based Junos.  For example, the exam might have a task related to OSPF, which inevitably means the routers need to be talking to each other. With packet mode, traffic flows freely by default; with flow mode, traffic does not flow freely by default.  And so as a function of completing the OSPF task (or any task that involves traffic going in and out of the device), candidates also need to deal with the characteristics of flow mode.

Cheers,

Kieran Milne

Tech Lead, JNCP

• 16.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 11-04-2010 21:33

Right right, understood. I'm more asking so I know what routers to buy. Will a stack of J2320s work, or should I go to 2350s? I have 2300s now, but I think they're probably too old for the -ENT track.

Thanks for the help!

• 17.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 11-05-2010 13:23

Hi Freely,

I must admit, my knowledge of variations across similar platforms varies.  Looking at this datasheet, http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000206-en.pdf, and it's not apparent that there is any difference between J2320/50 in terms of s/w features.  The only thing of note (to my eyes) is that UTM appears to be on J4/6xxx platforms only. 

Not sure if that helps, if there is something in particular you are wondering about, lob it over and we can look into it further.

Cheers,

Kieran

• 18.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 11-05-2010 13:26

No worries. Was just wondering what to buy. I'd be willing to bet that 2320s will suffice for most topics on the JNCIP/E-ENT exams. I have a couple 6350s and 4350s kicking around if I need them, too.

I'll also pick up a pair of EX3200s and a pair of EX4200s. That should be enough.

Thanks!

• 19.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 11-05-2010 13:46

Your plan looks good - some J's and EX's and you should be in very good shape.

Good luck with it,

Kieran

• 20.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 12-31-2010 04:50

Would you estimate there will be two or four EX switches in the lab topology?  I assume there will be 7-9 SRX/J series routers.  What is the target date to release the hardware/software details?

• 21.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 12-31-2010 07:39

Hi csnow,

For s/w, expect something in the 10.x/11.x range.

We don't advertise h/w specifics for lab exams, other than general platforms.  And to that point, I can tell you that you have the right mix with what you have listed there.

Regards,

Kieran

• 22.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 12-31-2010 14:30

Yes, it absolutely makes sense to not release details of the actual lab topology. I suppose in all reality, it would be better to ask somebody like Doug Marshke what he intends to use in the new -ENT track book, since that's what we'd want to emulate to practice. 

It's a shame that there are no training vendors (official, or otherwise) that offer self-study workbooks, such as InternetworkExpert or IPExpert has for the CCIE tracks. I think this is a huge niche and could make a whole lot of money if somebody with the right skillset was inclined to do so. 

As far as lab hardware goes, I know what will be in the lab (thanks to an NDA I signed while out for dinner with some Juniper guys), I just don't know how many of each device. Now, without breaking the NDA, I think its fair to say that the assumptions made so far have been good ones - however keep in mind that the -ER track also had some Cisco routers in the mix, and my guess is that the -ENT will be no different. In fact (and this is all of course 100% speculation) I would almost expect there to be a couple of Cisco switches in there too, for working with spanning-tree interoperability.

Hope that helps!

• 23.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 01-01-2011 14:42

I dont see how knowing that there are 2  or 4 or 18 switches in the topology would give an unfair advantage.  Cisc o may not "advertise" how many switches are in the topology but anyone can tell you how many there are.  Is that  really an advantage?  Common.....REALLY? 

• 24.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 01-01-2011 15:05
    Well there ya go, you answered your own question. Cisco won't tell you their topology, and neither will Juniper. You'll have to ask somebody who has taken the exam who is willing to violate their NDA for those details.

• 25.  RE: JNCIP/E-ENT Lab Hardware + JUNOS Versions

Posted 11-07-2011 06:07

This might help build up your lab??

Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS)
    IJOS
    Bracknell UK
    Avnet UK
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:30 AM GMT
    This course is being bundled with JRE/JIR/JEX and included in the price will be an EX2200C to take away.

#EX