Training, Certification, and Career Topics
Visitor
Cis-Jun

JNCIS/P/E-ENT

Hi everyone,

I want to start my preparation for JNCIS/P/E-ENT. For doing practice labs, would anyone please guide me which router and switch models are good choice for labs? Which sites are good for buying the used routers and switches? How many do I need?

I will really appreciate if someone can help me out.

Thanks,

Juniper Employee
cfrizziero

Re: JNCIS/P/E-ENT

Hi!!

I'm JNCIS-ENT: to get this it was sufficient with reading JUNOS ENterprises Routing & Switching books, but I'm not sure about the doc it's necessary to prepare JNCIP-ENT, that's my following step.

If somebody can guide me, I really appreciate it.

Cristian

Juniper Employee
Juniper Employee
Jas

Hi Cristian,

The JNCIP-ENT is based off of a combination Education Services courseware (including JIR, AJER, JEX, and AJEX) as well as on-the-job experience. I would recommend those courses, technical documentation and some practice. As you probably know, it is now a written exam so you shouldn't need a ton of hands-on practice, but the test is scenario-based and thus the on-the-job experience is helpful.

Good luck!

Juniper Employee
Juniper Employee
Jas

Cis-Jun,

The enterprise hands-on exams utilize SRX branch and EX series devices. You can practice the routing portion via Junosphere time (www.junosphere.net), however it does not have switching capability.

HTHs!

Visitor
Cis-Jun

Thanks guys for taking time to reply. really appreciated!!!

These are the steps I have taken going forward.

Books and Reading materials:

-  Switching: JNCIA-EX switching book (very good book) + Online documentation given by Juniper for JNCIS prep + EDU-JUN-AJEX-10.b (course) [just bought it; it comes with free exam voucher so this is perfect for some one like me who pays the exam fees from my pocket)

- Routing: JNCIA+JNCIS+JNCIP theory books and scenarios in the book

Hardware:

- Bought one SRX210 in which I can create 10 Virtual routers to simulate 10 routers in one box. Also, it has got Switching functionality as well

- Found one EX3200 switch at my work place which I am pairing with Cisco 37/45XX MLS with which I can pretty much simulate most of the scenarios. There are some limitations in STP where Cisco runs it's own PVST+ for the Vlans created other than vlan 1. On vlan 1 it uses IEEE spanning tree MAC address so I am using only vlan 1 to test STP tweaks. Also, VC cluster scenarios can't be done as it requires 4200 series.

Please feel free to comment (agree or disagree) or guide me if you think something need to be done on top of the steps I mentioned above.

Kindest Regards,

Cis-Jun

Recognized Expert
sfouant

Jas wrote:

The JNCIP-ENT is based off of a combination Education Services courseware (including JIR, AJER, JEX, and AJEX) as well as on-the-job experience.

Just a reminder, you can all download the JIR and JEX courses for free from Juniper's Fasttrack site, so the only ones you would need additional study material for would be the AJER and AJEX courses.  You can purchases these from Juniper's OnFullfillment web site.

Cheers!

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-SEC, JNCIE-SP, JNCIE-ENT, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks

Follow us on Twitter @JuniperEducate

--
If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Kudos are always appreciated!
Visitor
richmond

Could you point me to the downloadable versions of the JIR and JEX?

I can find OJXE and AJRE i nthe JNCIA-EX and JNCIS-ER sections but the JNCIS-ENT Fast Track only shows these as available:

JNCIS-ENT Routing Study Guide ( PDF 7.5 MB )

JNCIS-ENT Switching Study Guide ( PDF 12.5 MB )

Trusted Contributor
JunosChris

I went with a stack of 7x SRX210 routers and 2x EX4200 switches. 

I also have the AJER/AJEX materials. They are an excellent investment.

--
Chris Jones
Juniper Ambassador
JNCIE-ENT #272
JNCIP-SP
CCIE #25655
Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.