Training and Certification

last person joined: 5 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
  • 1.  JNIPE Study

Posted 12-11-2012 12:32

I was wondering if anyone with experience taking the JNIPE could possibly provide some tips for the exam, as well as how they prepared. 

I took the JIR last week and have all the courseware now. I took a ton of notes on the things the instructor said or gave examples of that were above and beyond the text in the books. 

Now I just need to prep for the exam. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: JNIPE Study
    Best Answer

Posted 12-12-2012 05:35

Just a few comments - 

1- Be prepared to be dropped in or "re-routed" - IE - please stop talking about slide12 and move to slide # 52 - be able to think on your feet, advance the deck and resume with NO PAUSE (for maximum effect)

2- Keep control of the environment - you will be pushed to head off topic - briefly address the issue, if you can't answer quickly, write it up and move on! Rabbit holes are NOT good. Also if you are asked a question and it is truly out of scope and you can't answer it, don't despair - just address the fact that you are not on top of that issue, board it and move on. Keep the flow going.

3- Practice, practice, practice - IE - it isn't just knowing the material - it is knowing it without looking back @ the slide deck, talking to / at the slide deck - also knowing it enough to present small "personalized" uses from a practical perspective is of great value not only in the exam but then in the real world.

4- Maintain eye contact with your students - pan the room keeping brief contact as you speak and move on around (public speaking tip really)

I found it exhilarating to take the exam. 

Hope this helps 

• 3.  RE: JNIPE Study

Posted 12-12-2012 16:16

Thanks muttbarker! That's actually very helpful. 

My JNIPE is April 3 in Sunnyvale. I'm trying to determine the best way to practice. Thought about doing a webex for some friends, but worried this may get me into trouble with the edu team. 

Thanks again 🙂

• 4.  RE: JNIPE Study

Posted 12-12-2012 18:04

One suggestion for you on the Webex issue. I am very cognizant of the fact that as an instructor I have access to materials that I am NOT allowed to distribute. The curriculm and course materials are Juniper proprietary with real tangible value. 

However Juniper does make the fast track materials available to anyone willing to sign up and get registered. While they are not the course materials they do map well from an overall content and knowledge perspective. I think if you wanted to do a "friends and neighbors" Webex and you based it on that content you should be totally ok. Just get 'em all to sign up if you wanted to be extra careful 🙂

• 5.  RE: JNIPE Study

Posted 12-12-2012 18:55

Oh yes, I certainly wouldn't even consider distributing the materials, nor do I plan to do the labs, etc.

Basically it would be no different than me doing the presentation for my wife (as I'm sure many instructors have done before) except it would be for 1 or 2 friends that would actually understand the material 😉 And certainly not a public presentation.

I'd do it in person for them, if I had friends who lived anywhere close to me who would understand the content 🙂

I'm sure I wouldn't be the first one to go over the materials with somebody they know in order to prep for the exam!

• 6.  RE: JNIPE Study

Posted 12-13-2012 07:49

Yeah, our wives, dogs, cats, end up knowing the material better then most students 🙂 

Best of luck when you go for the exam. BTW I really enjoy your blog!

• 7.  RE: JNIPE Study

Posted 12-13-2012 08:49

@muttbarker wrote:

Yeah, our wives, dogs, cats, end up knowing the material better then most students 🙂 

Best of luck when you go for the exam. BTW I really enjoy your blog!

Haha I'm sure that's true 😉

Thanks! and Thanks! Have a big multicast post in drafts 🙂