Training and Certification

last person joined: 3 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
  • 1.  Simulating PIM with olive

Posted 09-24-2011 08:28

Hi All,

I am trying to simulate the PIM protocol using Olive but I am not even able to see the pim neighbors . In fact I am aware that there was a problem that used to exist when olive did not support protocols like OSPF that uses multicast . But I do not have this problem as I can run OSPF with no problem . So any one has a clue why I am not able to see the PIM neighbors  on olive ? 

• 2.  RE: Simulating PIM with olive

Posted 09-24-2011 15:23

Hi

the multicast is working fine with Olive but in Qemu ( or GNS3 ) not with VMware , you will be able to see the PIM neighbors , RP elections ( auto-rp and Boot strap ) , MSDP and anycast-rp ,,  if you are using sparse mode you have to generate the Multicasts traffic from the RP it self since it will not support the De /  encapsulation of the register messages

if you use dense mode nothing else spacial  

• 3.  RE: Simulating PIM with olive
    Best Answer

Posted 09-24-2011 16:59

Ok so let me check if I got this correctly or not . In all cases PIM will not work with VMware . 

For Qemu (GNS3) I can simulate every thing except in the case of sparse-mode I need to generate the multicast  traffic from the RP itself  to avoid De/en capsulation of the register message .

Is this what you mean ?    

• 4.  RE: Simulating PIM with olive

Posted 09-25-2011 04:00

Yes this is what i mean !

• 5.  RE: Simulating PIM with olive

Posted 09-25-2011 05:40

Thank you so much