Training and Certification

last person joined: 8 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
  • 1.  Suggestions for Juniper study hardware

Posted 12-19-2012 11:57

I am looking at starting the process of getting Juniper certified.  I have had to pay my own certification costs and hardware as I went down the Cisco path and am expecting to do the same with Juniper.  I have been looking and would like suggestions on a starter switch or router (may only be able to afford one at this point) so that I can get hands on experience while studying for the exams.  In time I will be able to afford newer hardware but trying to keep from breaking the bank at this point.

Would appreciate any suggestions,

Ron

• 2.  RE: Suggestions for Juniper study hardware
    Best Answer

Posted 12-19-2012 12:21

Well I would recommend looking at the low end SRX units. You mentioned only being able to buy one unit. An SRX can run in either flow mode (acting as a firewall) or in packet mode (acting as a router) and it will also do some switching.

If you got the very low end SRX100 you could buy it with the high memory option and then you could also get 30 day license keys to play with the security functions such as UTM and IDP. 

• 3.  RE: Suggestions for Juniper study hardware

Posted 12-21-2012 08:29

Thanks for the suggestion.  I hope to be able to purchase more than one device but will have to buy things one step at a time.

Hopefully my employer will help some but not expecting anything at this point.

Ron

• 4.  RE: Suggestions for Juniper study hardware

Posted 01-15-2013 18:07
    Thanks for the info. I will eventually buy one or two other devices. I have the money to buy one device to start with. Will try to start with the higher memory version of the switch you specified. As the money tree blooms, I hope to add more. One of the things I will also be wanting to work on is getting a juniper switch to interoperate with other vendor's switches which is something that I anticipate having to do at my day job. Thanks, Ron