Training, Certification, and Career Topics
Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Who are you??

Hello!  My name is Liz Burns.  I started at Juniper Networks just three weeks ago as the new Sr Manager responsible for the Juniper Networks Certification Program (JNCP).  This is a very exciting time of growth and change at Juniper, and I am very happy to be here, working with this excellent group of network professionals. 

Over the next several months you will see growth and value added change in the JNCP.  We are looking for your input so please add to this discussion. Talk about what your JNCP designation has done for you, what designation you are currently seeking and what you would like Juniper to do in support of our JNCP network professionals. 

Look forward to hearing from you!

Liz Burns
Director, Education Services
Certification and Marketing Programs

Kudos are always appreciated!
Contributor
Tankl

Re: Who are you??

[ Edited ]

2 years validity of certification is kinda short.

It caused we need to recert every 1 1/2 year for each papers.

Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Tankl,

Thank you for the response.  What do you mean by "Not say if we are holding more than on certification"?

Liz Burns

Contributor
Tankl

Sorry typo, please ignore that.

Contributor
sushilmenon

Hi Liz,

Thanks a lot for giving us a open forum to discuss and listen to our views on Juniper Certification Program.

My suggestions with regards to Juniper certification is the expert level certs are more towards product centric than technology centric and the update to the programs are not very frequent with regards to the pace at which juniper technlogy is moving ahead.

I mean there should be like JNCIE-ERS which covers juniper's enterprise routing & switching which can enable a juniper certified candidate to depploy juniper enterprise routing & switching solutions.

And similarly for the JNCIE-SEC which is much awaited I hope it would be a complete juniper security expert cert covering entire juniper security product portfolio like srx,idp,strm & UAC. making a true juniper security product expert who can deploy any juniper security solution rather than just a srx expert.

What I see in the market is there is a huge response for juniper certs but the drawback is the availability of the equippments to practise for the candidates. there only a few online remote racks available and ofcourse they are very expensive. 

A training simulator like dynamips which boosted cisco certifications in mass volumes because people could work on real ios on pc to learn the technology well which motivated them as it didnt cost much to work on a simulator.

Today most of the JNCIE's are juniper employees because they had access to the gear to prepare for the LAB.  Today the biggest challenge in positioning juniper's product in the Indian Market is availability of skilled juniper resources in the market.  I am sure a simulator kind of thing for junos like dynamips would really change the game and there will be a huge no. of people opting for the expert level certs of juniper.

I hope my views have not offended anyone.

Thanks & regards

Sushil

Visitor
Flormon

[ Edited ]

First allow me to apologise for the length of this post!

I strongly agree with Sushilmenon.  Having used mainly Cisco products I had hoped that self-study for the lower range of Juniper certifications would be a similar process.

Juniper are clearly positioned in a market that is not designed for the home user – but this causes problems when trying to get access to training and equipment to practice on.  With Cisco the average person can simply pick up some second hand switches or routers on Ebay and settle down with a couple of books to start learning.  I doubt that anyone on this forum will be purchasing a sole EX 4200 to play on with the average cost on Ebay starting at around £2500.

In the absence of affordable practice hardware we look for rack time – this is rare and again fairly expensive with £50 an hour.  You’re limited to exactly what is on offer which might not match up what you’re interested in learning.

The next option is to find a good software simulation package like Dynamips and as stated previously this does not exist.  The only thing close to is Olive which is unsupported, uses an old JunOS and requires you to “source” that OS in a rather dubious fashion.

The Fast Track program is an excellent start and shows a generosity of spirit that I wish Cisco would take note of. 

Looking at the certification page is a challenge for someone new to Juniper.  So many tracks are listed and the demarcation of Enterprise and Service Provider is a little confusing for someone trying to decide what to try on their own.  Ideally I’d like to see all JNCIA exams achievable with self-study materials.  Take the very top cert in the list as an example – “Intro to Junos Track”.  Aha! an intro – that must be what I should look at first – and then you see it comes with a recommended $2800 worth of courses.  This does not inspire enthusiasm in those of us who land on this page out of curiosity.

It would be very useful to have something on the Cert page that essentially says “are you new to Juniper?” and a suggested  (ie self studying) route – you really need a starter qualification that is as ubiquitous as the CCNA.  It’s easy to search jobs for and it’s easy for an employer to know what to expect from someone who has it.  With 12 different listed tracks for JNCIA it’s almost impossible to identify someone with the potential to fit a job role, let alone for a candidate to know which one to start with.

Make it easier for employers to find qualified staff and I’m sure it will be easier to increase Juniper penetration.  I can assure you that companies do not like buying things that commit them to spending vast amounts of money training staff to be able to perform basic support on them (they are often quite happy however to buy you some books, have the odd day of study leave and pay for an exam!).  What might be the right product for the job at hand is sadly not always the main consideration when it comes to purchase.

Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Sushil,

Thanks for the excellent feedback.  Some of these ideas we have already started to talk about so good to know we are on the right track..  There are some changes currently being made around the certification framework.  You can see the preliminary announcement of this on our certification website (http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/).  More information will be available in the next two weeks.

Regards,

Liz

Liz Burns

Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Flormon,

Love the length of the post!  Again, a lot of good comments for us.  Your comments on the website are very timely as I am in long meetings just today with our web and social media team to discuss changes to the website and ways we can leverage social media to bring value to our certified audience.

Anyone have good ideas on how to leverage social media beyond J-Net?

Regards,
Liz

Liz Burns

Visitor
Flormon

Using sites like LinkedIn would undoubtably have a focused impact.  It's specifically designed to leverage industry contacts and knowledge.

Other more popular social sites like Facebook don't really feel like the most appropriate place for career development.  I personally keep my Facebook completely separate from anything to do with my employers. Out of the six friends who deal with networking in companies, only one of us can access Facebook at work as many places tend to filter it thanks to its time-wasting potential :smileytongue:

Twitter can be useful if narrowly focused.  I'd want an update if there was new training material available, I'd certainly not want to get messages about a new product line revision.

Super Contributor
srigelsford

Hi,

I'd like to see:

1) JNCIE-SEC - There is a lot of anticipation for this exam.

2) Exams lasting for longer than 2 years, if you have several tracks you are pretty much constantly taking exams.

3) Much like Cisco do, I think that if you pass an exam on another track at the equivilent or higher level, it should automatically refresh your other tracks. For example, if I have a JNCIS-SEC, I'd like passing my JNCIS-ER to refresh the SEC exam automatically. This keeps us happy, as well as promoting new learning.

4) The new pass grades of 85% are a little steep? perhaps somewhere between the new mark and the old 70%?

5) In my region of the UK there are hardly any prometric test centres, I have to travel 2 hours or more to Birmingham or Bristol. It would be nice to have the oppertunity to use Vue instead.

My career is based upon Juniper products, and having the certs is a requirement of my job. Point 3 would really make my life easier...

Sam.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.