Training, Certification, and Career Topics
Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Re: Who are you??

Thanks.  I agree with your comments on the FB versus LinkedIn.  You will see a LinkedIn group for JNCP soon.  Same with Twitter.  I am setting up a JNCP acct that myself and the SMEs on my team will have access to.  We will use this forum to do quick announcements on changes, interesting news, publications etc.  Will announce the availability of this Twitter acct, when available, here.

What about webcasts on a semi regular basis - JNCI SME to JNCI SME.  Basically have recognized JNCIx's (most likely P and E level) present topics that they are knowledable in to the rest of the certified community?  An informal learning session.

Regards,

Liz Burns
Director, Education Services
Certification and Marketing Programs

Kudos are always appreciated!
Visitor
Flormon

Webcasts would be great - making sure they're archived and accessible afterwards would be even better.  Let us download them in so we can transfer to other media.  I'd find it great to transfer it to my Ipod to listen to walking the dog or watch whilst travelling and even better to just hand to my colleagues on a usb stick.

Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Valuable input so far on this thread.  If you have not yet given us your feedback please take a minute now to engage in this discussion.

Thanks!

Liz Burns

Contributor
sushilmenon

Hi Liz,

I would like to add by saying that can we have expert sessions on specific technologies from juniper like cisco's netpro.

Where in every week a juniper guy from a specific technology domain expertise is ready to answer queries related to that technology or product.

Just my thoughts

Thanks & Regards

Sushil

Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Great idea Sushil.  We are actually working on something like that - regular webcasts, on technical topics delivered available to Juniper Certified.  In addition to Juniper SME's doing the presenations what to you think of allowing those who are Juniper certified, knowledgeable and interested to also present - sort of JNCIP/E to JNCIx?

Liz Burns

Contributor
sushilmenon

Hi Liz,

That would be a great idea too. But i would suggest experts from juniper would be great. as people would be asking technical & non-technical queries in the forum from the experts. so validated answers by juniper experts would sound more accurate.

One thing i would like to add is that yes jncie's and jncip's from the industry can surely post technical documents on best practices, smaller design guides and so.

For juniper i see most of the documentation explains more on the configuration and usage of the commands part.

validated design guides on enterprise technologies as juniper best practices would be really great and helpful to  partners & learners to implement juniper technologies. this would surely bring in a lot of interaction on the blog from the community.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks & Regards

Sushil Menon

Contributor
Zeus

Hi Liz,

I think JNCIP-M or JNCIP-SP should "not" be a pre-requisite for JNCIE-SP/M. If candidates can challenge JNCIE lsb directly, they should have that option. Two lab exams are pretty expensive for folks like me whose companies do not reimburse certification costs.

thanks

Contributor
TimotiSt

Hi Liz!

I'm from east-Europe, so most of my insights are kinda cost-related... :smileyhappy:

In my experience, nobody really asks for certifications here, and so nobody pays for studying or exams. As such, $2700 courses are a show stopper for me; that's more than 2 months salary...

I started to learn Junos because of the Fast-track program, and I loved the availability of the free study resources. After that, I don't understand the "Introduction to the Junos CLI" course for 300 bucks... You already provide CLI courses for free...

As for hardware availability: I've got to agree with the others, there's no hardware. The only thing I could afford on Ebay was a Netscreen-5XP, which helped me in my job, but it's not Junos. And my company won't buy me an SRX just to play around.

Other stuff:

I'd love to see the number of certificaion tracks decreasing, or at least the ability to renew multiple certificates with one exam.

Technical education - courses webpage: an RSS feed, please... And the "Enterprise" and "Service provider" tabs are converging into one: for example, the service provider page has SRX100 courses, which is a small-office device...

Sorry if it was a bit too random...

Cheers,

Tamas

JNCIA-ER,-EX, JNCIS-ES, MCSA, CCNA and all that jazz...
Contributor
NET-WORKS

Great move .hope these efforts don't hang-up in the middle.

Folks here would agree with me that the customer is always shaky about adapting juniper products because he has no idea what so ever about the technical deployment, operation and might face trouble finding staff which can run and manage the system. While on the counterside , networking staff might already be CCIE certified.Trained, certified Cisco resources are readily available(as compared to any other vendor).

Besides other valuable suggestions folks have put up, I hav a few.
1-The idea of webinars is great,it also needs little more organization.There should be a pattern,that the topic of the webinar be followed on the certification or official course outline.so in each session one topic is completely covered. Staring from beginner  and moving towards advanced topics.All products ranges (specially security SSG,SA,IDP)should be covered gradually.Either juniper instructors or experts from industry can present.Both new technologies as well as existing technologies should be discussed.
2-Archiving should be very proper, there must be a dedicated portal(like jpartnertraining.juniper.net) which holds past events with relevant study material.e.g Juniper summer school was a nice event (still waiting for the event this year) but the archive is made available by a forum member here http://forums.juniper.net/jnet/board/message?board.id=Training_and_Certification&thread.id=66 and resource are scattered in different places on juniper site.
3-CBT has been the most intuitive format for self paced learning, I guess because of its similarity to the natural way instructor lead training.Plus it offers a combination of theoretical details of the subject followed by a practical hands on example.The slide based tutorials with accompanying audio script is not that effective, although something is better than nothing.CBT nuggets offers quite a number of networking titles and is quite famous as well.They have one juniper title under development JNCIA-JUNOS (http://secure.cbtnuggets.com/series?id=659).But I cannot say would it be up to mark.What I would suggest is ,juniper would arrange their best instructors and partner with cbtnuggets(so that this juniper product reaches current networking customer base of cbtnuggets ) or through any other CBT platform they like.

Thanks very much

Super Contributor
Liz Burns

Thanks Net-Works.  I am looking at all the thoughts/ideas in this discussion as I move forward on strategy for the JNCP and on the JNCIx exclusive J-Net community.

As I go to our Social Media group with a proposal for the JNCIx Exclusive J-Net Community I need to present topic and content ideas for them.  As you say - we want consistant and valuable content available to the members to spur discussion/learning.  Any ideas on specific topics of interest are welcome!!!

Liz

Liz Burns

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.