Training, Certification, and Career Topics
Visitor
rizzas

building my olive

hello all,

i am new at junos and need help building my olive.

i have VMware ESXi 5.0, installed freeBSD 8.0, trying to install jinstall-10.1R1.8-domestic-olive.tgz

i am following what i found in youtube.com

1. extract the .tgz

2. get to pkgtools

3. replace checkpic with /usr/bin/true

4. repackage and install

not working. any directions, thanks

Recognized Expert
NateK

Re: building my olive

Are you receiving any sort of error, nothing happens, etc?

The link to the source YouTube video might be useful so that people can take a look and see what might be missing from the video, etc.

Recognized Expert
NateK

I haven't done an Olive setup in some time but you used to need a FreeBSD prior to version 8 in order to get things running and then a Junos upgrade takes the OS to a newer FreeBSD revision.

You may want to take a look at this link which is consistent with what I remember about setting up an Olive under VMware.

Trusted Contributor
martinbrown2k

Sorry to have to add this.  I believe using an Olive is against the license agreement for Junos.  Google will return plenty of sites out there which offer assistance on this, but they usually stress that this is not supported by Juniper and is against the license etc....so please be careful what you put on an official Juniper site.

That said.  Good luck and hope you do well in your studies.

Martin Brown
Juniper Ambassador
Network Security Engineer
JNCIA-Junos, JNCIS-ENT
CCNA Wireless, CCNP, CCNP Security, CCDA
HE IPv6 Sage, IPv6 Forum Gold Engineer
MCSE
Visitor
rizzas

thanks for your reply and help, the link to youtube that i am following is; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lguv1NynVM as for the errors that i was getting i deleted the install and starting over. i will follow the link that you suggested. let you know when i get some results. Thanks, Santino
Visitor
rizzas

Thanks Martin for your input,

I have seen many times that Juniper doesn't support the Olive installs but never anything against using the JunOS as an Olive to practice towards a certificate.

Anyone from Juniper support please let us know.

Santino, JNCIA want to be................................

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.