Training, Certification, and Career Topics
New User
dudu

fired up student

Hello,

I have just watched the CBT of Junos as a second language. In fact, all on the Fasttrack certification site. I am impressed by all that it has to offer. Please how do I take this further. I think I will need a home lab to practise the command inputs. Are there any cheap alternatives or the smallest hardware or software setup to start with.

Does Juniper allow students access to labs online or do a student discount.

A fired up student.

Regards

Dudu

Juniper Employee
Bluesrocker

Re: fired up student

Dudu,

I am not a training authority, but if I were you, I'd try to email someone in the training course department to see if they do student discounts. I don't know that they do. As for less expensive equipment in which to learn, you may look on ebay or something like that to get some used equipment that runs JUNOS. Just find out a situation where you can get something that has the JUNOS version you feel will be complete to practice the JUNOS commands, as you will need a support contract to download other JUNOS versions. Support contracts are likely not practical for someone learning JUNOS!

If any of this response is out of line, I hope someone will step in and correct me.

Regards,

BR

New User
dudu

Hi Bluesrocker,

Thanks for your reply/ pointers. I did email certification-fasttrack@juniper.net about three week ago, but no reply.

It is good for someone to even bother to reply me not dampening my enthusiasm

Regards

dudu

Juniper Employee
Bluesrocker

I am glad that I could assist in keeping the fire stoked! Juniper is a great company with great technology. Put in your time and hard work, it is worth it. I don't think it would hurt to email them again. You may want to reach out to the training centers themselves, I know Unitek is one of them and inquire through them. Again, not my area, just trying to think outside the box.

cheers

New User
dudu

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Do you per chance know the email add. of the guys in charge of training ?. I will give the unitek a try. Do you know thier email?. If I may ask what is your area and what advise or area of specialty you will implore a newbie to try or invest so time and effort ?. Thanks for your communication.

Regards

Dudu

Recognized Expert
JCert

Hi Dudu,

Glad to hear you're fired up with the training material so far!

You're on the right path, the FastTrack site is the best place to get free study materials.  Aside from that there are some very good O'Reilly books out there.

In terms of getting hands-on time, unfortunately at this point there is no online equipment access.  Your best bet is as Bluesrocker mentioned, check out eBay, etc, and see if you can find some used equipment. Be sure to get a Junos-based device. :smileyhappy:  I.e. don't get a WX device or an SSG.  I don't know what your budget is like, but J series devices would work, EX switches or SRX services gateways could be good too, depending on what you're going for.  (A quick check of eBay shows no EX or SRXs... perhaps check into pricing for the the smallest boxes, even new they might be in your price range)  EX gives you switching and most routing, SRX is a security box (runs flow-based Junos) that does routing.  Depending on your goals, you need to be a bit careful and make sure the box does what you need.  For example, an EX woudl be great for learning the Junos CLI, basic routing, and switching; however, I believe EXs need an additional license for some BGP, IS-iS, IPv6 and some MPLS.

One other good thing to be aware of is that Junos supports routing instances and logical-systems (i.e. virtual routers), which means you can split a single router into several routers. One or two boxes can give you an entire network.

Good luck with it!

Juniper Employee
Bluesrocker

Dudu:

I do not know the email address of the people in charge of training. Regarding Unitek (and other Juniper training partners) your best bet is to use google to find them and just emai lthem and pick up your phone and call them.Trust me, google is a networking engineer's best friend, it is the world's largest knowledge base.

Personally, I work wth 4-7 devices (DX, since End Of Life) and Intrusion Detection Prevention on standalone IDP, the ISG Firewall and soon the SRX firewalls. So the only device that I use that runs JUNOS is the SRX. However, that will change as time passes.

If I were just starting out I would likely get an A+ certification, read a book on TCP/IP and networking concepts, and then look into a Juniper routing or switching class that is based on JUNOS. I think you are likely in the right direction. Of course the best thing to do would be to seek employment with a company that uses Juniper devices, then they will likely invest money in getting you trained.

Good Luck!

BR

New User
dudu

Great thanks for your  time and reply. I will work towards these now.

Regards

Dudu

New User
dudu

Thanks for the info.

D

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.