Virtual Networking Reality
BrendanH

Using Junosphere for…. Interviews?

by Juniper Employee on ‎06-28-2012 01:09 PM

In my last blog, I talked a little bit about the flexibility of Junosphere and how there are many different ways customers can—and do—use Junosphere. I was a little surprised that the very next day after my blog posted, I heard about a new use case that I hadn’t even thought of. I was visiting Juniper’s OpenLab Innovation Center in New Jersey and heard from a customer who was interested in using Junosphere in the interview process.

It turns out this company hires a lot of network engineers, and in addition to all the standard interview questions, they thought it would be a good idea to do a hands-on evaluation of a candidate’s skills. Junosphere obviously is a natural fit for something like this: it can be purchased and used on-demand, and it gives users access to real networks running the Junos operating system.

Give a candidate a broken topology or incorrect router configuration and ask them to fix it – it would be very much like the tasks they’d have to perform on-the-job.

I thought this was a great example of the flexibility of Junosphere: it’s so flexible that customers are finding uses for Junosphere that haven’t even occurred to us here on the Junosphere team.

PS - On a related topic, if you haven’t visited the OpenLab facility, I encourage you to check it out. The team there has done a great job and there are training events happening almost every week. I’ll be back in September running another Junosphere session – please check it out.

Comments
by Distinguished Expert ‎08-17-2013 05:10 AM - edited ‎08-17-2013 05:11 AM

The links to the openLab facility and training events no longer work.  Please update them.

thanks

Steve Puluka BSEET
Juniper Ambassador
Senior Network Engineer - UPMC Pittsburgh, PA
JNCIA-ER JNCIA-EX JNCIS-SEC JNCIP-SEC
JNCIS-FWV JNCIS-SSL
MCP - Managing Server 2003 MCP - Windows XP Professional
MCTS Windows 7
http://puluka.com/home">http://puluka.com/home

About the Author
  • Brendan Hayes is senior product marketing manager supporting Juniper's cloud networking solutions. Brendan has been with Juniper since 2005, where he has played a key role in bringing to market some of the company’s most successful new products and solutions. Mr. Hayes has over 10 years experience in the networking industry, and prior to Juniper Brendan served a number of years in a public relations role at Sycamore Networks, a leader in intelligent optical networking. Brendan has a BA from the University of New Hampshire. In his spare time, Brendan enjoys fixing and driving old Jeeps, cars and motorcycles.
  • I am a routing technician at the UNH InterOperability Laboratory. I test both conformance and interoperability of numerous protocols, including OSPF, BGP, IS-IS, RIP, IPv4, IPv6, and others. I am a candidate for a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration with a minor in Computer Science. I plan on pursuing my masters degree in Computer Science at UNH after I obtain my degree. I teach piano and play basketball in my free time.
About Virtual Networking Reality

Subscribe to Virtual Networking Reality  RSS Icon

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.