Wireless LAN
Recognized Expert
Mike.S

AX411 on SRX220, what's the truth?

How many AX411s can you configure on an SRX220H? Datasheet says 4. Some docs say 2. SRX210 is supposed to handle 4, and the 220 is faster, more memory, etc., so why would it handle fewer? Their statement that "you can only configure and manage the maximum number of access points," is either a meaninless tautology or meaningless nonsense, depending on how you read it.

Firmware release notes for the latest AX411 firmware mentions "After a period of time ranging from several days to several weeks, Radio 2 stops communicating with wireless clients." as a known issue. Beyond the fact that this is inexcusable for basic functionality on a 2+ year old product, there is no mention of this in Junos release notes (10.4r9 or 11.4r1). Is this product really as broken as it sounds?

In the Junos 10.4r9 release notes, one section provides errata for Junos documentation and says "AX411 Access Point clustering - Yes" for the SRX220, then another section says "Access point clustering is no longer supported." Huh?

What's the truth? I'm pretty new to Juniper, are they REALLY this disorganized/deceitful (ambiguous info, unfit for purpose products, promising features, then simply dropping support when they can't deliver)? I understand why they might want to push the Trapeze (WLC) stuff, but they really don't offer anything which is cost competitive with the SRX/AX411 there.

Trusted Contributor
michael.saw

Re: AX411 on SRX220, what's the truth?

Same concerns here.
Anyone can share?
Thanks!

Michael
JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT/SEC, JNCIP-ENT
(CCNA, ACMP, ACFE, CISE)
"http://www.thechampioncommunity.com/"
CONNECT EVERYTHING. EMPOWER EVERYONE.
Share & Learn. Knowledge is Power.

"If there's a will, there's a way!"
Distinguished Expert
Screenie

Four is the limited, but only two are licensed by default. You need to add a license for numder three and four.

best regards,

Screenie.
Juniper Ambassador,
JNCIA IDP AC WX JNCIS FW SSL JNCIP SEC ENT SP JNCI

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Recognized Expert
ronf

I wouldn't recommend the AX411.  Seems like a real dead-end product now that Juniper has acquired Trapeze.  Look at some of the competition if you want something without the cost of a physical controller.

JNCIE-SEC #127
Trusted Contributor
michael.saw

Is there anyone "looking" or "fixing" this issue?
Hopefully, things can turn out better, so that we can propose the suggested solution properly...
Thanks!

Michael
JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT/SEC, JNCIP-ENT
(CCNA, ACMP, ACFE, CISE)
"http://www.thechampioncommunity.com/"
CONNECT EVERYTHING. EMPOWER EVERYONE.
Share & Learn. Knowledge is Power.

"If there's a will, there's a way!"
Contributor
radius

This is a late response, I know. Still I just noticed. I have some time back setup 3 APs with 2 x SRX220H (HA cluster - added licenses in both boxes) without any issues. Now I wonder if I can go passed the imit of 4 APs in this configuration. I know I can add 1 more for sure, but what about more? I agree that WLC (former Trapeze) is the way to go, but I have a customer that asks.... Do you know anything?

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.