Wireless LAN
Visitor
kcray

Intel WiFI Link 5100 cards

Is anybody having issues with INtel WiFi Link 5100 cards staying connected to N AP?

AP's are WLA522

controller is WLC8

laptops HP 6730B with intel WiFI link 5100 cards

I have tried updating drivers and using news from intel, no go,  transmitt power level and roaming aggressiveness.

any ideas?

Trusted Contributor
sanjr

Re: Intel WiFI Link 5100 cards

Track a case with JTAC if needed.

Could you describe your issue more appropriately?

association issues, connecectivity issues, performance/throughput issues?

Does the behavior change by disabling frame aggregation on the SSID? 

Visitor
kcray

the intel pro wireless adapter is reporting that it is connected to wireless network, full signal strength and reports back its ip address.  I can ping the laptops ip address, so the local ip stack is working.  I can not reach any device on the wired side of the network.  and from the wired side of the network cannot reach the laptop.

The WLC8 has no errors.

I have found if i restart one of the effected laptops and login i can connect and then logout and the user is can login and connect. 

the issues seems to be very intermittened. I have hard time trying to perdict when it will occur. 

the common facter is all of the laptops have intel pro 5100 cards. 

Trusted Contributor
sanjr

Air captures can definitely help to check if its the AP or the client that drops the ball in such cases.

Simultaneous captures at the AP uplink complement as well.

Visitor
kcray

any suggested wireless capture utilites?

Recognized Expert
Mike.S

If it were a WLA532, I'd point to this, in the "known issues" section of the current release notes:

When connected to the WLA532, the Intel 5100 Client may appear to send traffic over the network, but no data is actually sent. [PR702722]
Description — The Intel 5100 Client is a two stream capable client, but some older versions of the driver causes the client to display three stream connectivity information. This causes the WLA to send unicast traffic downstream to the client, but the client does not support this type of traffic.
Workaround — Upgrade the Intel 5100 client driver to version 14.2.0.10 which resolves this issue.

I know you updated the drivers, and are using 2 stream APs. Still, it is suspicious, as the symptoms are similar. Maybe try forcing a b or g connection, just to remove MIMO from the equation?

Trusted Contributor
sanjr

AirPcap cards are one of the many tools available out there

I would second Mike's suggestions above

Visitor
kcray

Thanks Mike,   I think forcing the G connection is the best option for right now. 

I am going to try a few machines  and see how it does.

Visitor
kcray

forcing the cards to G is the answer.   allof the ones that have been switched are staying connected fine.

Copyright© 1999-2013 Juniper Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.