Routing

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Route Tags lost through IBGP

Posted 11-05-2010 07:35

Hi All,

I have two routers which are peered via IBGP.  One router has many routes with route tags on them.  When the routes get sent to the other router via IBGP the tags get removed.  Is there a way that I can keep my tags across the IBGP session?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Route Tags lost through IBGP

Posted 11-05-2010 12:39

Bgp communities should be advertised to ibgp neighbors by default.  Do you have any import/export policies applied to the neighbors or groups?

Ben

• 3.  RE: Route Tags lost through IBGP

Posted 11-05-2010 12:47

Yes I have a basic policy applied to export my routes through IBGP.  If I try to add a community i get an error saying the community is not reference in the bgp config.

Do you have an example of how I could configure a comunity and apply it as a tag to one of my routes I am advertising out to BGP.

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Route Tags lost through IBGP
    Best Answer

Posted 11-05-2010 13:14

You must define the community, and reference it by community-name in the policy.  Here is an example that matches the 10.0.0.0/24 prefix, and then sets a community named "customer", which is defined as 65001:1234. 

policy-options {
        policy-statement add-community {
            term term1 {
                from {
                    route-filter 10.0.0.0/24 exact;
                }
                then {
                    community set customers;
                    accept;
                }
            }
        }
        community customers members 65000:1234;
    }

There are a three community action options.  They are defined as:

community (+ | add) [ names ]: (BGP only) Add the specified communities to the set of communities in the route.
    community (- | delete) [ names ]: (BGP only) Delete the specified communities from the set of communities in the route.
    community (= | set) [ names ]: (BGP only) Replace any communities that were in the route in with the specified communities.

A few Junos documentation links regarding bgp communities and policy.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.3/topics/concept/policy-bgp-communities-extended-communities-match-conditions-overview.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.3/topics/concept/policy-bgp-communities-extended-communities-evaluation-in-routing-policy-match-conditions.html

• 5.  RE: Route Tags lost through IBGP

Posted 11-06-2010 06:24

Hi Benb,

Thanks alot this information was great.  I can use the communities to do what I want.  Just one question though, I am able to set the community through a policy map like the example you showed but in one of the links I read that you can apply communities to non-bgp routes.  I would need to do this to some of my static routes.  I cant seem to be able to add the community tag to any of them, i keep getting this error.

under policy options i have

community test members 65000:1234;

Then uder routing options i try to do this

set static route 66.66.66.66 next-hop 1.1.1.1 community [test]

invalid community.

Or

set static route 66.66.66.66 reject community [1234]
                                                                    ^
    invalid community.

any idea why?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Route Tags lost through IBGP