Application Acceleration
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

How to configure off-path deployment on WXC with M-series Juniper router

‎10-01-2009 05:29 AM

Hi guys,

I want to do POC for WXC with off-path deployment and HA active/active or active/passive

The topology is: HO has one router and also the branch office.

Router in HO is M10 juniper router and WXC will connect to this router to do off-path (2 wxc device) with HA active/active or active/passive scenario.

I just have off-path guide with cisco router, but i dont have off-path guide with M10 juniper router.

could you give me guide for this purpose ASAP??

Thanks

Andre

Regards,

Andre
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JNCIA-FWV | JNCIS-FWV | JNCIS-AC | JNCIS-SSL | JNCIA-JUNOS | JNCIS-ENT | JNCIP-ENT

-Please mark "accept solution" if my post helps you-
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

Re: How to configure off-path deployment on WXC with M-series Juniper router

‎10-01-2009 02:35 PM

Some questions first:

- do you plan to use WXC with External or RIP Packet Redirection methods? WCCP is not available on Juniper routers

- do you plan to put WXC Local interfaces inside VRF?

- what is your WXC failure detection tolerance?

Rgds

Alex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎10-01-2009 08:15 PM

Hi Alex,

answer your question:

- I want to use external/PBR method

- usually when install off-path with cisco router, i put WXC local interface to the cisco router and use external/policy-based routing   method. I dont know in juniper router using VRF. is it the same?

- actually i will do POC using 2 scenario: active/active and active passive

• in active/active mode : The router can redirect the traffic to the two WX Series/WXC Series ( load balancing), but when primary one fails,  router can automatically detec the failure and redirect to the second active WX/WXC. But when primary comes active again, router automatically detect it and forward traffic to primary one.
  • in active/passive mode: router redirect traffic to the second WX Series/WXC Series in the event the primary one fails

could you give me guide for doing this POC ASAP....

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Andre

Regards,

Andre
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JNCIA-FWV | JNCIS-FWV | JNCIS-AC | JNCIS-SSL | JNCIA-JUNOS | JNCIS-ENT | JNCIP-ENT

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎10-02-2009 03:33 AM

I would not recommend using PBR (Juniper equivalent is called FBF) for HA POC. I think you'll find it much easier to use RIP for HA configs - just tweak the RIP import policy and adjust RIP metric to achieve load-balance and auto-failover.

In any case, if you still want to use FBF, here is the rough guide:

- connect WXC local interface to a Juniper router, give WXC and IP address

- make sure WXC IP@ are reachable throughout your network

- create a firewall filter with match on interesting traffic and action "then routing-instance <FBF instance name>"

- apply this FW filter to the interface connected to the LAN where traffic sources/sinks reside

- create a forwarding routing-instance, add 0/0 static route to this routing-instance pointing to WXC IP

- configure a rib-group to add connected routes into forwarding-instance you just created

The challenges with FBF and HA are:

- how to properly adjust FBF to achieve seamless failover in case WXC IP becomes unreachable but WXC Local interface stays up. RIP would do this automagically 

- how to load-balance incoming-to-WXC traffic (for active-active HA). WIth RIP you could manipulate routes and metrics to achieve per-subnet load-balance. This is harder to do with FBF and typically requires manual FW filter reconfiguration.

Good luck with your POC.

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎10-02-2009 05:04 AM

Hi,

Based on your recomendation, i will follow your advice to using RIP instead of FBF, as your said that RIP is easier than FBF configuration in HA deployment. I will try using RIP for WXC HA deployment.

Thank you for your advice..

Regards,

Andre

Regards,

Andre

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎10-06-2009 03:26 AM

Hi aarseniev,

I already tried using FBF, but confused in failover WXC active/passive depolyment. If primary WX/WXC fails, WX/WXC backup unit will cover and becomes active. I dont know to make failover mechanism in J-series router. any idea?

if using RIP, do you have guide for the configuration in Router Juniper?

Need help ASAP.

Thank you 

Andre

Regards,

Andre

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎10-12-2009 09:18 AM

Andre,

We are currently owrking on getting a document together covering FBF and failover usinging scripting, we can hoepfully share something with you around this soon.

Danny Jump
Technical Marketing Manager - Access and Acceleration Business Unit
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎10-12-2009 10:29 PM

Hi Danny, 

Ok, I will wait for a document soon, because  i want to do POC for this scenario soon.

Thank  you Danny,

Andre

Regards,

Andre

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎08-25-2010 03:15 AM

Hi Danny,

Do you already have the document that you told me in the last time before?

Thanks

Regards,

Andre

Highlighted
Application Acceleration
Solution
Accepted by topic author andre
‎08-26-2015 01:27 AM

[ Edited ]
‎08-25-2010 11:13 PM

Andre

Attached you will find the document Danny was talking about. It features a EX switch as the L3 device using FBF, but same approach would apply to M/MX routers.

I'm currently working on a document covering RIP injection which should be done in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Johan

Attachments

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎08-26-2010 08:30 AM

Hi Johan,

Thank you for the document using FBF.

If you have finishing your document using RIP, please share to mee too.

Thanks

Regards,

Andre

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎09-16-2010 09:53 AM

Hi

Enjoy!

Regards,
Johan

Attachments

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎09-20-2010 01:58 AM

Hi,

Thanks

Regards,

Andre

Regards,

Andre

Feedback