Application Acceleration
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

License bw limitations details.

‎07-24-2008 02:43 AM

HI!

So i have some question about subj. If i have 2 wxc500+license with 256K bw limit, i want to know what will it be in this situation:

LAN<----WXC500----->ROUTER<------512K Uplink----->ROUTER<------WXC500------>LAN. I want to compress all my http traffic, but it uses 350K. What will wxc do with 350-256=96K oversubscribed traffic? 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

Re: License bw limitations details.

‎07-24-2008 03:55 AM

Hi,

The 256k limit is the reduced throughput limit. If the WXC takes in 350k but can reduce it below 256k then it will be reduced and sent through the tunnel. Any traffic that isnt reduced into the 256k is sent untouched as pass-through traffic.

Regards

Andy

JNCIS-FWV
JNCIA-WX
JNCIA-SSL
JNCIA-ER
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎07-24-2008 03:59 AM
OK, thx. But what's about QoS? For example, if I limit bw in configuration to 512K, will wxc QoS'ing 256K of all traffic, and other 256k be untouched? It seems something strange, imho.
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

[ Edited ]
‎07-24-2008 04:02 AM

This document should give you more information on it.

Andy

[Edited by Admin: attachement removed as it is a confidential document for Juniper Partners]

JNCIS-FWV
JNCIA-WX
JNCIA-SSL
JNCIA-ER
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎07-24-2008 04:10 AM

QOS is is applied on the outbound traffic after reduction has happend and depending how it is configured will affect tunneled traffic and pass through traffic.

Here is a document that is a little old but the concepts are the same.

Hope this helps.

Andy

JNCIS-FWV
JNCIA-WX
JNCIA-SSL
JNCIA-ER

Attachments

Highlighted
Application Acceleration

‎07-24-2008 02:58 PM

Hello,

What I want you to think about and then come back to me is this. There are two modes for the QoS enginer, dedicated or over subscribed.

Now, if you run dedicated then you only 'QoS' the tunnel/optimised traffic, if you run over-subscribed then you also have a policy against the passthru and also control this traffic as well.

if there is a hight percentage of PT, lets say 50% then you don't want the PT to impeded or casue issues that effects the optimised traffic.

Now remember only QoS worls when we have congestion unless you have a policer defined on a traffic class.

Finally, there are other difference between dedicated and over-subscribed specificaly related to how excess bandwidth is used but lets leave that one for later.

Danny Jump
Technical Marketing Manager - Access and Acceleration Business Unit
Highlighted
Application Acceleration

[ Edited ]
‎07-24-2008 09:39 PM

Hi Danny,

Good explination, always better at putting it in a few words than me Smiley Wink

Hope you are well and you are not working too hard back in the UK.

Andy

Message Edited by AndyC on 07-24-2008 09:52 PM
JNCIS-FWV
JNCIA-WX
JNCIA-SSL
JNCIA-ER