Application Acceleration
Application Acceleration

WXC - MPLS

‎05-19-2010 11:24 PM

Hi,

We have a client with 50+ sites connected thru MPLS (approx 2mb links). Also they have VOIP deployment,SAP,email. WIll WXC fit in this scenerio and ideally where should the same be place in the network topology ?

13 REPLIES 13
Application Acceleration

Re: WXC - MPLS

‎05-20-2010 05:45 AM

Hi

The Juniper WXC products could certainly fit into an MPLS environment, the WAN topology is of little concern. Normally the WXC appliance is inserted into the network either in-line or off-path close the WAN <-> LAN edge (between WAN router and LAN switch or hanging of the WAN router), but other options might apply.

When comes to your applications (VoIP, SAP and mail) it is harder to answer the question if WAN optimization would fit. If the branch offices are really low bandwidth or really starved for BW you can compress VoIP traffic, the WXC products supports compression both for TCP and UDP based application. But for the most part we normally leave VoIP traffic untouched as optimizing other application creates room on the wire for VoIP.

How do you run SAP? Are you using the SAP GUI or Web based? Are you using encryption or not?

When you say "mail" what do you mean? Regular SMTP/POP/IMAP mail, MS Exchange or Lotus Notes? Are you using encryption or not? If MS Exchange what version are you using of the Exchange server and the Outlook client?

Regards,
Johan
Application Acceleration

‎05-23-2010 04:39 PM

WX product can certainly fit in this scenario. It can be placed in a HUB and SPOKE, MESH-to-MESH models as well.

The typical deployments include in-line, off path (RIP and WCCP based) and policy based as well. WX should be deployed closer to the WAN and behind the firewall (if any). If you are planning to deploy in a hub and spoke model then WX also support Asymmetric routing as well for failover support.  The difference between the In-line and Off path model is that In-line model is deployed serially and any and everything goes through WX. Whereas in Off path, you can select the interesting traffic to be sent to the WX. Off path is recommended in most scenarios to avoid unnecessary traffic compression. For instance, the headend usually has Off-path WX box and brach offices uses In-line WX boxes.

As far as VOIP is concerned, WX generally don't touch it and bypassed with EF traffic class and highest priority.

Thanks

-Iqbal

Iqbal Mirza

SRX Global JTAC

JNCIE-SEC#68, JNCIS-M, CCNP

‎05-23-2010 11:54 PM

Hi Iqbal,

So for voice and video there is not much we can do with WXC except defining priority and gurantee bandwith i guess.

So are there any special considerations if we have full mesh in MPLS ?

Application Acceleration

‎05-24-2010 12:19 AM

Hi

So for voice and video there is not much we can do with WXC except defining priority and gurantee bandwith i guess.

Johan: The Juniper WXC can compress both voice and video (we support both UDP and TCP protocols) traffic. Having said this the question is if these two application is really causing you the pain on the WAN. Also "video" could be many different applications, broadcast video (uni- vs. multi-cast), pre-recorded video, video conferencing, etc. For unicast broadcast video being viewed by multiple users at the branch office and for pre-recorded video that can be pre-positioned the WXC would add value. For broadcast multicast and video conferencing the WXC would not provide any benefit beyond QoS settings.

So are there any special considerations if we have full mesh in MPLS ?

Johan: If you truly like to support full mesh you need to select WXC devices that support the appropriate number of compression tunnels. The WXC 1800 support up to 10 tunnels, the WXC 2600 support up to 50 tunnels and WXC 3400 support up to 140 tunnels. Having said this we very rarely see this requirement as most customers today have the majority of applications they like to optimize in a few central data centers. In this case you will create a HUB/HUBS <-> SPOKE optimized network on top of your MPLS network.

Regards,
Johan
Application Acceleration

‎05-24-2010 01:44 AM

I think Johan nailed it on the head perfectly.

In my last reply, I had said that WX "generally" does not do any thing with Voip traffic but if required we "can".

As far as mesh network deployment goes, you just have to be careful with your QoS configurations. In your network having 50 boxes means lots of tunnels (i.e. 1225 tunnels) and it quickly becomes hard to manage. That is why in most scenarios, it is easier to scale Hub and Spoke model as compared to mesh. I would recommend selecting Hub and Spoke model with WXC2600 for your branch and WXC3400 for your headend.

Iqbal Mirza

SRX Global JTAC

‎05-24-2010 02:27 AM

HI Johan and Mirza,

Thanks for your valuable inputs and guidance. The applications of  the customer are hosted at only 2 locations and I guess we can safely put the HUB> SPOKE  topology for WXC here.

They are quite concerned about Voip and Video conferencing for 3 specific locations. Rest they want to improve SAP,some internal web portals and email (Exchange 2007). What would you guys advice in terms of configurations considering these scheme of things ? For

Application Acceleration

‎05-24-2010 08:20 AM

As mentioned earlier, for video conferencing, WX does not add much value. The best thing to do here is to provide the best QoS possible. Are you doing traffic shaping on the MPLS cloud? WX can do the following three types of QoS (ToS/DSCP);

1-Off - ToS/DSCP bits are always set to 0 on the WAN

2-Set IP Precedence bits for checked traffic classes (preserve incoming ToS byte if no classes set)

3-Set DSCP bits for checked traffic classes (preserve incoming DSCP if no classes set)

So if you are shaping on the MPLS cloud then you'd want to select either option 2 or 3. Option 3 will tell the router to honor the DSCP markings set by the WX and that way you will priorities the video.

Similar thing can be done for SAP as well.

Unfortunately, currently WXOS can not accelerate Exchange 2007 on an application level but we certainly do compression and TCP acceleration on that just like any other application. You will see some benefit.

As far as web portals are concerned, you should see good benefit there if you use 5.7 release code that has HTTP acceleration feature with object store.

Hope that helps.

-Iqbal

Iqbal Mirza

SRX Global JTAC

‎05-24-2010 11:02 PM

Hi

I like to add some more information on Exchange/Outlook 2007. It's true we do not support application specific acceleration for this Exchange/Outlook combination. But we can provide compression for this combination, but....

By default the Exchange/Outlook 2007 combination is applying software based encryption to the MAPI protocol. This means you will not see any benefit with compression. To allow the WXC to perform compression on the Exchange/Outlook 2007 combination you need to disable the software based encryption done by default. Some customers will not like to disable encryption as they have a requirement that all e-mail traffic is encrypted. They way you can both have the WXC do compression on the Exchange/Outlook 2007 combination AND provide end-to-end encryption is using Outlook Anywhere (RPC over HTTPS) communication option. In this case the SSL Optimization feature in the WXC will be used.

Attached you will find an application note covering how you setup the WXC's to optimize Outlook Anywhere protocol.

Enjoy

Regards,
Johan

Attachments

Application Acceleration

‎05-26-2010 10:26 PM

HI Mirza & Johan,

Based from your inputs what I understand is that for Voice,Video and SAP we can at the most do QoS on WXC and not much of compression or acceleraation.So kinda set higher priority for these applications so that WXC can gurantee bandwith.

Also I am attaching a network diagram. Pardon as it is not neat. Can you guide me how to place WXC in this network topology ?

I have to prepare a solution PPT showing the placement WXC platform in their network.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Application Acceleration

‎05-27-2010 01:09 PM

I would prefer to have RIP-offpath deployment in this scenario. For instance, attach the WXC device with only the LOCAL port attached to the router "C00-CHN" interface and attach another WXC device to "Ho-Tirepati" router's interface. In a similar way, you can have a total of 8 WXC devices in total according to the diagram. I could help you better if I can get a better diagam explanining where are the LAN subnets that you would like to advertise. It also appeared to me that you might be advertising similar subnets from two WXC devices i.e. you might be sharing the LAN connected to routers "C00-CHN" and "C00-HYD". I might be wrong here. But if I am right, then you are looking at load balancing or fail-over mechanism or may be Asymmetric routing. So there are alot of other design constraints that come into picture and for that you would need to go through proper channel and this forum might now suit this discussion. But for what it's worth, placing 8 WXC devices in off-path mode will solve your problem. You will be required to add specific static routes.

The other options would be to use the WCCP based off-path or policy based off-path.

If you want to place it In-line then you have to connect the REMOTE interface of the WXC device to the LAN facing interface of the router i.e. "C00-CHN" for instance and the LOCAL interface would connect to the LAN itself.

Hope that helps.

-Iqbal

Iqbal Mirza

SRX Global JTAC

‎05-28-2010 06:47 AM

Hi

I like to take the design questions off-line. There is basically not enough information available at this time to provide a good recommendation. Off-path using RIP Injection in this case is probably not the best option as both VoIP and video where involved and we like to not touch them with the WXC's. When using RIP Injection everything goes through the compression tunnels even if we don't like to optimize the traffic.

Please don't hesitate to send me a private message and we can take this off-line to get you good solution rather then guess games.

Regards,
Johan
Application Acceleration

‎05-28-2010 09:41 PM

Hi Johan ,Mirza,

I am trying to get a more detailed diagram and also some more details on any MPLS QoS which might be currently in place.

However what I understand from our discussions is that in-line deployment isnt adviced here.

Application Acceleration

‎05-30-2010 11:54 PM

Hi

In-line can definitely be advised. What we tend to see in general is in-line deployments in branch offices and off-path deployments in the data center.

Regards,
Johan