Archive
Juniper Employee , Juniper Employee Juniper Employee
Archive
It’s all about the Road…
Oct 5, 2015

As someone who learned to drive sitting on my mother’s lap and working on muscle cars since I was 11, I have always had an affinity for driving and anything cars.  As an auto enthusiast, I have spent many vacations navigating some of the world’s most interesting roads. My interest in cars and how things worked led to my interest in technology and later on, a career in applying the benefits of information technology to the business world.

All those times on the road, intertwined with my background and passion for technology, allowed me to contemplate many things, one of which always bothered me; “Why is deriving the benefits of technology always so difficult, especially when it comes to business agility and the end user customer experience?” Then it hit me, it’s the road… or what we call in the tech world, the Infrastructure. No matter what car I drove or under what weather conditions, my experience always came down to the condition of the road.  Just like a business that depends on technology, the performance of the car was only as good as the road or infrastructure I was driving on. 

In the IT world, the road for data is The Network. The Network you say, Yes...the Network. It’s the network that allows people to connect with their loved ones over their mobile devices to share memorable vacation photos. It allows businesses to share data to help create a seamless consumer shopping experience and it allows enterprises to extract and correlate data to offer you new services that strengthen your allegiance and preference to their brand.

Today, many organizations are challenged and constrained by their legacy network infrastructure, antiquated networks that were in some cases designed over a decade ago based on closed architectures and costly high-touch human intervention to keep them running. Although this comment may be considered heresy, in many cases it’s the technology vendors’ interests to sell the next thing that have helped put many organizations in the position they are in today.

The Networking world has changed and the road or infrastructure is much more agile and adaptive. With the ongoing advancements coming out of the Open Source community and innovation areas like Automation, Orchestration and Analytics, companies can now explore and deploy network infrastructures that provide real cost savings, operational efficiencies and agility. Fast moving transformational industries like Financial Services that demand price performance, agility and stability, are now actively exploring and deploying the benefits of Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and the Cloud, across their businesses.

Just as we have seen rapid change and openness in the computer and storage world, we will see accelerated innovation in The Network.  An innovation-led company like Juniper Networks, along with our partnerships and alliances, has historically been at the forefront in leading the industry transformation.  Juniper continues to make advancements in routing, switching and network  security.

Remember… your journey and the ride is only as good as the road you are on. Your network road or infrastructure should offer you agility, flexibility and a lower total cost of ownership. It should enable and accelerate your business; not get in your way. Juniper Networks has a rich portfolio of solutions and a legacy of innovation that can help your organization unlock all its potential.

Oct 6, 2015
Juniper Employee

Tony,

I like the analogy.  A flexible, open infrastructure that is fool-proof will lead to innovation and an enhanced user experience.

Oct 7, 2015
Juniper Employee

Thanks Chris, interesting enough my experience has always been, the road that is often the most familiar is not necessarily the most interesting when you get there. Many times due to our bias and familiarity we don’t fully explore all the roads before we begin our journey. The transformation going on in the Network Infrastructure world will benefit all of us that are comfortable embracing change and objectively looking at all the options versus the status quo.

Oct 7, 2015
Juniper Employee

The Network is to the Road....As Juniper Networks is to the Autobahn.  Lets enable our customers to get away from old two lane highways and take the next onramp to Juniper!!

Oct 7, 2015
Juniper Employee

And the best kind of road has no traffic jams, roadworks or speed limits ....... Or to paraphrase a famous brand of lager's marketing slogan, If Juniper were to build roads ............ they would probably be the best roads in the world !!

Feedback