Archive
Juniper Employee , Juniper Employee Juniper Employee
Archive
OpenStack Summit Returns to its Birthplace, This Time 100x Bigger!
May 4, 2016

20160425_191221-01.jpegExciting times are upon us and this was once again reaffirmed while attending last week’s OpenStack Summit in Austin! A record gathering of 7,500 attendees from across the world, the momentum and support for OpenStack and open source technologies continues to sky rocket across the vendor, developer, and end-user ecosystem. It was exceptionally eye opening to see how much the summit has matured since its debut six years ago in the same city – this year 100x larger in attendance!

A notable topic that was highlighted throughout the show was the importance of “Bimodal IT”. Since its inception, I’ve been a huge fan of this forward looking concept for managing IT delivery and personally use the term periodically because of its strong relevance with Juniper’s MetaFabric architecture. Recall that MetaFabric naturally provides the foundational groundwork for customers looking to bridge their legacy and next generation network environments together in an automated, agile, and easily managed framework; providing the ability for IT to utilize more of its time to innovate and drive greater efficiencies in operations. As it specifically relates to Mode 2, Juniper’s Contrail platform is unequivocally the best SDN solution to transform any organization into a more agile practice (the OpenStack users voted us the most deployed SDN controller for the 3rd time in a row!), so it becomes the wood behind the arrow when talking about Bimodal IT.

Much of what our team promoted at the show was related to our recent Contrail enhancements for Enterprises, Telcos, and Cloud Service Providers, and we had many Juniper and partner-led sessions throughout the week. As it relates to OpenContrail, I was blown away with the turnout at the OpenContrail User Group meeting that took place Wednesday evening. The room was packed nearly shoulder to shoulder with users, all eager to hear the success stories presented by AT&T, eBay Classifieds, Lithium, Symantec, tcpCloud, Tieto, and Workday. When engulfed in such a learning hungry environment, it becomes physically apparent that OpenContrail is the most widely deployed SDN controller in commercial OpenStack environments for good reason. For those that were unable to join the meeting, the energy and interest persistent in the room was awe-inspiring! To see what was discussed, the presentation recordings will be available next week via the OpenContrail YouTube channel, but for now, I’ll leave you with the below pictures to help illustrate the energy in the room.

DSC05937.JPGDSC05942.JPG

Another prominent topic discussed throughout the keynotes, breakout sessions and show floor was containers, which left me extremely confident with the direction Juniper is driving the market. If you were unable to stop by the booth, we announced a new edition to our SRX virtualized security platform, referred to as the cSRX which is our innovative solution to providing security services for containerized environments. I should also mention that the cSRX is the industry’s first firewall purpose-built for container applications and as anticipated, received a lot of praise and inquiry throughout the summit from both end-users and analysts. To inject some playful fun with this product announcement, our team handed out some great chachkies – light sabers - to represent Juniper’s mission in defending customer networks. It was creatively fitting and differentiated not only from other vendor announcements, but also from the appeal it won from booth goers, as was seen from the reenacted Star Wars light saber battles that took place next to the ping pong tables and market place theatre.

The cSRX announcement also provided a great forum for discussing Juniper’s Software-Defined Secure Networks (SDSN), our unique approach to securing customer networks by leveraging every network element as both detection and enforcement points. This approach truly shifts the viewpoint and paradigm from traditional point-product security to securing networks by using elements throughout the entire network. If you haven’t already, I highly encourage you to learn about the importance and operational advantage SDSN provides, as described by Juniper’s Security CTO, Kevin Walker, and listen to how SDSN is resonating with our partners and their customers.

IMG_0972.JPG

The OpenStack Summit has earned its place as my favorite industry event to date and last week’s revisit to where it all began in Austin was a true testament to the commitment both the market and Juniper have for driving the adoption of open source technologies. We will continue to listen, innovate, and deliver solutions to this maturing market, and will continue the good fight in providing open and best-of-breed choice to our customers. In the spirit of National Star Wars Day, May the 4th be with you!

May4th2014B.png