Archive
Juniper Employee , Juniper Employee Juniper Employee
Archive
Understanding Analyst Influence: Mastering Analyst Briefings
Aug 5, 2015

Paul_Irene_Akshay.jpg

Analyst influence starts with an analyst’s research into a market (buyers, sellers, drivers, macro economic factors, technology). One of the most common and widely known forms of research for an analyst is a vendor briefing. A briefing between an analyst and a vendor is a meeting in which vendors typically update analysts on new products, changing business models, mergers and acquisitions, or to also start a new relationship.

So what do the analysts listen for during these sessions? How can vendors master an analyst briefing and make the most out of these opportunities?

• “The bottom line is that analysts traffic in trust. That’s their currency. Coming into a briefing with a lot of great customer cases is more powerful than the most elegant presentation you could ever give. Because ultimately people ultimately buy from people.” – Louis Columbus, VP Worldwide Marketing, iBASEt
  • “Get to the point quickly. So, don’t go through 10 to 15 slides before you give me valuable information. Tell me what the essence of your message is quickly and then leave time for me to ask about that in my own way.” - Peter Christy, Research Director, Networks, 451 Research
  • “The very best briefing I’ve ever gotten was just a quick call set up the day before and there was no PowerPoint slides. The VP of marketing just told me what was new in the company and all of their great successes. And there was excitement in his voice, which is catching of course. It was truly a personal one-on-one.” - Richard Stiennon, Chief Research Analyst, IT-Harvest
  • “Analysts are geeks at heart and they love flashing lights as much as tech buyers do. So show them the flashing lights.” - Richard Stiennon, Chief Research Analyst, IT-Harvest
  • “Make sure that the information that’s coming from the company is honest and transparent. The more information there is and the more honest it is, the better analysts can play their role. Analysts are pretty smart. They’ve been around the block. They’ve talked to a lot of vendors. They can usually hear a fish story pretty clearly.” – Kathleen Schaub, VP Research, CMO Advisory Service, IDC
  • “Ensure that your spokespeople are well prepared for every engagement. Provide a history of recent interactions, ensure they know the analysts research agenda and have read any recent articles/blogs and importantly, provide a list of hot buttons covering what the analyst likes, doesn’t like and their perception of your company. This will help drive a successful outcome.” – Caroline Dennington, Senior Director, Global Analyst Relations, Symantec
  • “Don’t confuse monopolizing a conversation with influencing an analyst. You’re more likely to influence an analyst if you’re spending more time listening then talking.” – Barbara French, Senior Director, Global Analyst Relations, Juniper Networks

This piece is part of a series titled “Understanding Analyst Influence.” Through print and video pieces, the Juniper Networks Global AR team’s goal is to inform audiences about the influence of analysts in today’s market, how analysts work and who they work with, common trends in the analyst industry, and how to master communication and relationships with analysts.

Aug 6, 2015
danconde

Good point.  As Barbara French wrote, it's good to make it a two way conversation.  I think that a new product intro briefing differs from update, so we need to approach them differently.  Also, if we get slides ahead of time, we can also try to focus in on areas that are of most interest.  It all depends on the situation though.