BLOG: Community Talk
News and updates to keep you informed about J-Net Community programs and enhancements
Administrator Administrator , Administrator Administrator Administrator
BLOG: Community Talk
Introducing Aaron Conaway from the Ambassador Team
Jan 3, 2013

Aaron Conaway.pngThis week we'll get to know more about Aaron Conaway from the Juniper Ambassador team. He has an interesting story about how he got into the networking field. Curious? Read on...

What did you want to be growing up, did you see yourself where you are now?

Actually, when I was growing up, I wanted to get into music.  Not in a rock band or anything, but as a music teacher and classical performer.  Once I got to college, I realized that wasn't for me, so I closed my eyes and pointed to a list of degree programs and wound up in Information Systems.  That was, of course, before there were any fancy networking degrees available.  Smiley Happy

After graduating, I got a job at a local company that provided cellular billing services doing Unix administration. After a week, my boss told me that our network guys needed help, and that was all she wrote.  I've been doing networking since that time!

What was your first experience with Juniper? Do you have certifications?

I'd obviously heard of and read about Juniper for years, but it wasn't until I took my current job about a year ago that I first had hands-on experience with Juniper gear.  After a few months of working with MX, SRX, and EX devices, I just went and passed the JNCIA exam.  JNCIS is next!

What advice would you give someone just getting started on Juniper products?

My best advice would be to remember that a lot of the current technologies are universal.  OSPF is OSPF.  BGP is BGP. CST is CST.  VRRP is VRRP.  It doesn't matter if you're using $VendorA, $VendorB, or Juniper.

What do you like to do when you’re not working, what do you look forward to doing on the weekend?

Assuming I can find some time when I'm not working, I like to go geocaching with my wife and messing around with my ham radios.

Top Kudoed Authors