BLOG: Community Talk
News and updates to keep you informed about J-Net Community programs and enhancements
Administrator Administrator , Administrator Administrator Administrator
BLOG: Community Talk
Introducing Juniper Fan-of-the-Month for April
Apr 28, 2014

We’re pleased to announce our April Fan-of-the-Month, Clay Haynes. Clay is known on Twitter as dark_15 and participates in the J-Net Community as dark1587. He has some interesting posts on his personal blog titled “Tank on Networking”. His most recent article topics are IS-IS and his experience taking the JNCIE-ENT Beta exam, we encourage you to give them a read. Find out more about Clay in the interview below.  Congratulations for being our Fan-of-the-Month!

How long have you been using Juniper products?ClayHaynes_FOM.jpg

I have been using Juniper Products for about nine years starting in 2005. Originally I was a server administrator, and was initially attracted to Juniper thanks to their SSLVPN product. From there it has been an evolution from the SA's and ScreenOS firewalls to all things Junos.

What was the first Juniper product you worked with?

My first Juniper products were the Netscreen 25 and SA2000. The Netscreen's WebUI and zone-based policies were unlike any other firewall product at the time, and were simple enough for a server admin to understand. The SA's ability to provide secure access via Network Connect, as well as basic access via web bookmarks from anywhere was a huge benefit.

What is your favorite thing about working with Juniper products?

Moving away from IVE OS and ScreenOS to Junos was a challenge at first, but thanks to tools such as PathFinder and the SRX Jumpstation made the transition to Junos very easy. I am also a huge fan of the Junos CLI/syntax especially when it comes to apply-groups and apply-paths.

What advice would you give to others considering Juniper certifications?

In short, use the Juniper Fast Track Program. The Fast Track Program provides an exceptional amount of training materials to help an engineer understand the technologies they will need to be successful.

What Juniper product do you dream of working with?

I have had the opportunity to work with a great deal of Juniper gear over the years from the SSG, J/SRX, EX, and MX; that being said I would love to work with the QFX Series next!

Apr 28, 2014

Congrats, Clay!