BLOG: Community Talk
News and updates to keep you informed about J-Net Community programs and enhancements
Administrator Administrator , Administrator Administrator Administrator
BLOG: Community Talk
Meet Juniper's Fan-of-the-Month for March
Mar 15, 2016

juniper_TWfeed_fotm_matovu_proof1.pngWe are pleased to introduce our March Fan-of-the-Month, Byron Matovu.  Byron's activity on Twitter caught our eye with his efforts to engage and promote his peers content, his participation in our social activities and amplifying Juniper content.  We asked Byron to tell us a bit more about himself and one thing that really stood out is his love for learning through Day One books. We hear that quite often and we are pleased that they are helpful resources for Byron too! You can follow him on Twitter and get to know him better in this interview:

How long have you been using Juniper products?

This story is funny; it was an overnight amazing decision. My journey began back in the summer of 2012 when I was evaluating several vendors to be part of the company’s complete network gear refresh. Core, Edge and Access, everything was going to be replaced.

What was the first Juniper product you worked with?

When evaluating I worked on the MX5, SRX, QFX and EX series, I was fortunate that the 1st Juniper products I really got my hands on were the MX5, SRX650 and QFX5100. These are solid pieces of hardware. I have now been able to work on other products including the EX line.

What is your favorite thing about working with Juniper products?

I love JUNOS, and how Juniper provides a bare device and the engineer determines how to configure the system. “the display set” command saves me a lot of time when looking through configurations.

What advice would you give to others considering Juniper certifications?

Juniper has a lot of material on the Juniper site, documentation and my favorite is the Day One releases. I think I have all the One Day publications Smiley Happy. But my absolute first recommendation is the Juniper Networks Warrior by Peter Southwick and of course for hands on practice I recommend starting with vSRX, vMX lines.

What Juniper product(s) do you dream of working with?

Hmm this is a hard one, but if I had to choose I would go with learning more about the QFabric System, SRX5600, MX2020, QFX10000 Ooo and Network and Security Director.