BLOG: Information Experience (iX)
Juniper Employee , Juniper Employee Juniper Employee
BLOG: Information Experience (iX)
Just Getting It Done: 4 New Examples to Begin 2014
Mar 13, 2014

I hope 2014 has been good to you thus far, my fellow Junos peeps!

For this, my first blog post of the year, I would like to highlight four new examples that came about for various reasons.

BGP PIC Edge for MPLS Layer 3 VPNs

g041992.gif

This example was born when a documentation bug required me to fix a simple syntax issue on this page. Not being content to just fix the error and move on, I decided to be a show-off and create Example: Configuring BGP PIC Edge for MPLS Layer 3 VPNs.

Filter-Based Forwarding to a Specific Destination IP Address

g041991.gif

As much as I would like to, I cannot take much credit for this one. Example: Configuring Filter-Based Forwarding to a Specific Destination IP Address is the brain-child of and was handed to me by Andre Stiphout. Thanks, Andre!

Basic Layer 2 Switching on MX Series

g041981.gif

Example: Configuring Basic Layer 2 Switching on MX Series grew out of my own curiosity and need to know about Layer 2 technology. It is my first foray into Layer 2 examples: the beginning of a long and hopefully fruitful adventure.

Multifield Classifier

g042236.gif

Example: Configuring a Multifield Classifier was new territory for me because this is my first class-of-service example. Whew! It was a heavy lift. Let me explain: Before I could write this little example, I first had to put in place a traffic generator. As you know, traffic generation can be done with expensive hardware or free software, and everything in between. I opted for free software running on a virtual machine. What can I say? Free is good. Who doesn't like free?

I very much want to give kudos to Robert T. Wright for helping me integrate virtual machines into our test lab and helping me test various traffic generation solutions (namely, Ostinato and hping). Also, big kudos to Kieran Milne for the Learning Bytes video that is featured in the example.

Enjoy!

And don’t forget…There are two ways to get in touch with me: By rating and commenting on my examples, or by adding a comment to one of my blog posts. I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
Mar 13, 2014
SandyP

Wow, Betsy! You are amazing. When Fawn said she wanted more examples in the documentation, I thought short and general. You have really illustrated how we can do much of the heavy lifting for our customers, which I am sure they will love.
Prepare to hear from me when it's my turn to start this process...and thanks again for the example examples!

Feedback