Community Talk
Community Talk
Introducing Dan Hearty- Juniper's September Fan-of-the-Month

Dan Hearty, Juniper Fan-of-the-MonthDan Hearty, Juniper Fan-of-the-Month

We are pleased to introduce our September Fan-of-the-Month, Dan Hearty.  In addition to sharing our technical blogs that he finds interesting, Dan frequently posts his Juniper experiences and gear on Twitter @danhearty, Dan is a long time Juniper user who is now focused on bringing SDN and NFV to Service Provider customers. He told us that the lab environments he works in are incredible and refers to them as an "engineer's playground".

A big shout to Dan for his advocacy efforts and congrats on being our September Fan-of-the-Month!

Find out more about Dan at work and at play in this Q&A.

How long have you been using Juniper products?

I have been working with Juniper products ever since I started my career at Telindus (now telent) nearly 10 years ago. During that time, I've been deploying and supporting Juniper products into Service Providers, delivering training, and POC/Type testing new hardware and software. More recently I’ve been particularly focused on bringing SDN and NFV to our Service Provider customers – mostly based on Contrail.

What was the first Juniper product you worked with?

I think it must’ve been the M160, T320 and T640. I also worked a little with the TX-Matrix. Having studied using small CPE it was a real eye opener to work with a TX-Matrix! We did have an M40 in our lab at the time but it was more of a museum piece!

What is your favorite thing about working with Juniper products?

It has to be the innovation. Juniper are continually pushing the boundaries and, in my opinion, boast some of the best hardware and software in the industry. I’ve been involved with some very exciting projects such as the world’s first deployment of the PTX into LINX prior to the 2012 Olympics.

What advice would you give to others considering Juniper certifications?

It’s all about motivation and commitment. Build a lab, buy a study guide, and learn it! For the JNCIE I would recommend a 12-month plan and a decent note taking app - I literally wrote everything down. Juniper led training and boot camps are also a great method of diving in and learning quickly. Finally, get involved with the online community and leverage some of the great knowledge and resources that are out there.

What Juniper product do you dream of working with?

This is a tough one given I’m already working with the industry leading PTX5K and the Gladiator FPC. However, I’m very interested in the packet optical innovations that are being driven from the BTI acquisition. On the NFV side CSO looks really cool! I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on an MX2020 or the PTX Omega J.

What do you like to do when you’re not busily working?

Having recently completed the JNCIE I’m slowly getting back into normal life! I spend most of my free time with family and friends, watching football (soccer), cooking and playing with technology. I’m also a huge fan of craft beer so I’m always hunting for a new IPA to try.

paul.clarke2@uk.fujitsu.com

Well deserved Dan.  See you at the up and coming Juniper Tech events. 

Top Kudoed Authors