DX - Load Balancing & Application Acceleration

Description of server factory parameters

‎08-14-2008 05:21 AM

Hi,

do anyone know where I can find a description of all "set server factory x yyy" configuration parameters on the DX ?

Thx,

Michel.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Description of server factory parameters

‎08-15-2008 02:31 AM

The factory commands are not fully documented as generaly they are settings that should not be altered, such as the size of buffers and other system variables.   There are some which are  which are referenced in the manuals and AppNotes,

http://forums.juniper.net/jnet/attachments/jnet/dx/28/1/dx_quick_reference_guide_5_2.pdf has a section with common factory commands.  

One not on that list is:

'set server factory i f enabled'             Enable IP forwarding.  

This makes the DX route all IP traffic which is not destined for a defined VIP.  This is not  recommended as the DX is not designed to be a router.   

‎08-18-2008 02:15 AM

Thanks Matt, I didn't know about this document (I had install guide, quick start, command reference, but not 'quick reference'...).

Not as complete as I would have expected, but is already something.

‎09-23-2008 04:43 AM

not easy to find all the server factory descriptions...I have one problem that I really need to solve:

a server behind the DX sends a FIN but the DX does not forward it to the client.

how can we make this forwarding happen?

the settings for the DX are :

set server factory kac enabled

set server factory kat enabled

set server factory a scr disabled    <--" What does this mean, by the way?"

Is there a way to change the keep-alive timers?

Thanks in advance!

Alfred

‎09-23-2008 05:41 AM

Hello Alfred,

As the DX proxies the cluster connections it handles the client-side seperately from the server-side connections, so if the client uses a HTTP header of Connection: Keep-Alive the DX will allow the client connection to be maintained, so it could be re-used by the client without having to establish a new connection.   Why do you need the client to receive the FIN from the server?   

If you use client keep-alives (factory kac enabled) then you can close client connections using ' factory kac cc [rv0|rv1]' where rv0 is for HTTP/1.0 clients and rv1 is for HTTP/1.1 clients.  This can be applied at the server or cluster level. The default value is 0, which means to never close the client connections.

% sh server factory kac cc rv0
Factory kac cc rv0: 0
% sh server factory kac cc rv1
Factory kac cc rv1: 0

% sh cluster 1 factory kac cc rv0
factory kac rv0: global
% sh cluster 1 factory kac cc rv1
factory kac rv1: global 

The value can be 0-3, which stand for:

0=never

1=always

2=redirects

3=all 3xx

The description I have for factory a scr is 'Server connection reset', so I assume this makes the DX send a RST to the server when it closes a connection, rather than the graceful close with FINs.

You can adjust the TCP keep-alive timers with 't ckat' and 't tkat', which refer to client and target keep-alives respectivelty.  These can be set globally or at the cluster or forwarder level, with the value between 1 and 36000 seconds. e.g.

% set cluster 1 factory t ckat 99999999999999999999
value must be between 1 and 36000

‎09-23-2008 06:39 AM

Hi Matt, the problem is that the client keeps the connection open and it's dropped silently on one of our devices between the client and the DX (e.g. office proxy, FW, loadbalancer). So if the client does another request after e.g. 5 minutes he gets an error:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

After pressing f5 to establish a new session it works fine. Therefore we would like to close the session from the compressor side.  

I'm just testing with the customer and after disabling the keepalives it seems that the problem is gone. Need to perform another network trace to understand why.

Announcements

DX SERIES

The Juniper Networks DX application acceleration platform delivers a complete data center acceleration solution for Web-enabled and IP-based business applications.

RSS Icon