DX - Load Balancing & Application Acceleration
Highlighted

Using Backup Chaining Revert.

‎02-18-2008 02:08 PM
Hi,

I have a customer that is using backup chaining revert on his SLB group.  When the primry server goes down, they want the DX to rest the clients and force them to re-establish a connection to the secondary server. When service to the primary is restored they then want the DX to reset the client connection to force them to re-establish a connection to the primary.

When the primary server is restored can we force a rest to the clients to force them to open a new TCP Connection to the primary server.
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Using Backup Chaining Revert.

‎02-20-2008 05:21 AM

When the primary server goes down then usually the DX will not be able to forward requests to it so the client connections will fail, leading them to connect to the backup.   I haven't tested it but I would assume 'Backup Chaining Revert' act like soft-pause, in that exsiting connections stay on the backup but new connections would be sent to the primary server when it is up, so the clients do not get interrupted service.

To force clients to drop their sessions from a backup server when the primary server is back on-line I would suggest using a L7 health script to hard-pause the backup if the primary is reponding to a health-check, as hard-pausing kills the current client connections.   Remember to add a test in the script to unpause the backup if the primary is down.

Announcements

DX SERIES

The Juniper Networks DX application acceleration platform delivers a complete data center acceleration solution for Web-enabled and IP-based business applications.

RSS Icon