Day One Books Archive
These Day One Books are outdated, soon to be out of print and unsupported. Use at your own risk
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
‎07-02-2012 03:55 PM
‎07-02-2012 03:55 PM

cover.jpg“Day One: Deploying a Secure Wireless LAN” walks you through how to plan and deploy a simple wireless network. You’ll be introduced to wireless basics, review some of the tools for wireless network planning, and then take part in the actual deployment configuration. It’s time to cut through the clutter and get this wireless solution done in a day.

This book is available in a free PDF edition. 

• For iPads and iPhones, use your device’s iBook app.
  • For Kindles, Androids, Blackberry, iPhones/iPads, Macs. and PCs, download the free Kindle app for your device. Go to the Kindle Store using your device’s Kindle app and search for “Day One Juniper.” Download directly to your device.  

Start a discussion, post a comment or let us know what Day One books you really want, and we'll pass the info to the editors.

Jul 11, 2012

Hi folks,

I'm Laura Phillips, one of the authors of this book, and one of our diligent engineers found some issues that I'd like to post here:

Page 9: I should clarify that the authentication is part of the 802.11 and not actual user authentication.

Page 9: I incorrectly grouped protocols and ciphers together - it should be WEP, TKIP, or AES-CCMP and mention WPA/WPA2 separately.

Page 11: EAP-MD5 does not apply to wireless.

Page 15: "Centralized switching occurs when the WLA encapsulates user data in TAPA/CAPWAP" should say CAPWAP and not mention TAPA.

Page 15: under reduced latency - the last line should end with encapsulate and decapsulate user traffic in CAPWAP not TAPA.

Page 30: "They connect to the wired network through a 10/100 Ethernet link." Our 11n WLAs have a Gigabit Ethernet link.

Page 54: The final command sequence for adding RADIUS authentication should read as follows:

WLC#1 set authentication dot1x ssid acme-corp ** pass-through acme-radius

And last but not least, the correct command to save trace logs is "save log trace".

And finally, I left out Tash Hepting, Director of System Testing, as a contributor. Thank you Tash!

Jul 16, 2012

thanks !

Dec 17, 2012
FYI, this is no longer free on Amazon, it's $.99.
Feb 6, 2013

Nothing special, mostly what is in docs in first few pagest of configuration.

I would be looking how to set up this wireless with certs(cert based auth for clients) as its not documented at all and proper documentation of ha set up and testing.

Jul 9, 2013

Man Happy

May 8, 2014

when 11ac WLAs will be available?