Efficiently Managing the New Network
, Regular Visitor
Efficiently Managing the New Network
Learning Junos Space SDK via a “Hackathon”
Aug 29, 2012

Hackathon.jpgAs I mentioned last week, I’m diving head first into learning all things Junos Space.  And speaking of learning, a group of University of Texas students were able to receive some hands-on learning of the Junos Space SDK (Software Developer Kit) solution a couple of weeks ago as part of a Hackathon event at the AT&T Foundry in Plano, TX.   Juniper Networks and AT&T partnered to put on this event where the next-generation software developer students could come learn about the future of networking and then participate in a unique competition to see who could create the most innovative application to solve a particular issue.  

Each team of students was given access to the tools they needed to design new innovations for managing the network. This way, the students could “get hands-on experience with concepts around software defined networking (SDN) and channel their interest in technology to help solve real-world challenges in the networking industry and unlock new opportunities.”   To do this real-world development, they were given full access to Junos Space SDK. Talk about exciting! 

Here was the task given:  Build an application that “Monitors real-time traffic, aggregates data for operators, and dynamically provisions the network elements.”  No small order, but definitely a real world example.  So, what did they come up with?

The winning team created a working “congestion-aware rate controller” Junos Space application that extracted relevant performance data from the network and dynamically throttled back an application directly based on attainment of certain pre-established performance thresholds.  The 2nd place team created an Intelligent Bandwidth Management Application called “iBand” which offered manual video delivery controls when streamed video was subjected to poor network performance.  The 3rd place team developed a graphical traffic utilization reporting system leveraging Junos Space to extract, correlate, and present router port data.

Amazing!  Talk about innovation! I think this show the simplicity and possibility of what can be created using the Junos Space SDK.  It’s just a small glimpse of the power of utilizing the programmable network!

Below is a day-by-day account of the event.   See what the students did each day, and which group won the challenge.  It’s all summarized below…

And, great news!   Juniper and AT&T will be teaming up again later this year for another challenging competition for students.  This time, it will be held at Juniper’s OpenLab Innovation Center in New Jersey.   What I’d like to do is get the students view point on using Junos Space SDK.   

Here’s my question to you.  What do you think should be the “challenge” we pose to the students?  What innovative task should they tackle?  What solution to a real-world problem would you like to have these students work on?  I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Feedback