Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
Expand all | Collapse all

2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

• 1.  2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 07-28-2017 01:47
      |   view attached

Hi all,

I 've tested 2 x EX4300 formed as virtual chassis in order to increase the port density but it seems not work, as we all know, one switch will be the master and other will be backup under virtual chassis technology. However, when I plug the cable connect to the backup switch, it can not transit traffic while connecting to master switch is work. Is there any misconfiguration? Or backup switch will not handle any data traffic?

Attachment(s)

txt
    config.txt   11 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling
    Best Answer

Posted 07-28-2017 06:08

You have no interfaces configured for the new switch.

set interfaces ge-1/0/0 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
    set interfaces ge-1/0/1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
    set interfaces ge-1/0/2 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default

set protocols rstp interface ge-1/0/0
    set protocols rstp interface ge-1/0/1
    set protocols rstp interface ge-1/0/2

• 3.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 07-28-2017 16:29

To expand on what Smicker notes, when you join another switch to the VC the ports on that switch have a new first number (the FPC) changing from:

ge-0/0/0 to ge-1/0/0

And so on for all the ports.

There is no configuration added for those ports.  so you must add this as Smicker notes in his examples.

• 4.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 07-31-2017 19:48
      |   view attached

Hi Spuluka,

Thanks for your information. I 've followed your recommendation to add the new commands to the virtual chassis. But it still not works. Do you have any suggestions? 

Attached detail log for your reference. 

Regards,

Dylen

Attachment(s)

txt
    EX2200VC.txt   59 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-01-2017 22:52

>show virtual-chassis status
    >show virtual-chassis vc-port statistics
    >show virtual-chassis vc-path
    >show virtual-chassis
    >show chassis pic-mode
    If the PIC mode setting is not set to virtual-chassis, set the PIC mode to virtual-chassis:
    user@switch> request chassis pic-mode virtual-chassis

Maybe need to save config off device and return to factory default, zeroize media and then load saved config.

• 6.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 02:56

In addition to the VC status commands that Lyndidon lists, can you also run 

show interfaces terse

So we can confirm the interfaces are recognized.

And also

show chassis hardware models

Finally, when you say it does not work, exactly what test are you running and what are the results?

• 7.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 08:24

Hi Spuluka,

Actually, I rebuild the EX2200VC by the steps as below:

1. Split EX2200 Virtual Chassis into two standalone switches and power on them

2. Factory default and zeroized the EX2200 Switches

3. Install the JTAC recommended version(Junos 12.3R12) for each EX2200 switch

4. Shutdown the backup node EX2200 and configure master node EX2200 first by preprovisioned and vc ports

[edit virtual-chassis]

user@switch# set preprovisioned

user@switch# set member 0 serial-number abc123 role routing-engine

user@switch# set member 1 serial-number def456 role routing-engine

user@switch# set no-split-detection

[edit]

user@switch# run request virtual-chassis vc-port set pic-slot 0 port 46

user@switch# run request virtual-chassis vc-port set pic-slot 0 port 47

5. Power on the backup switch and configure vc ports of 46 and 47

6. Cable the vc port

7. Virtual Chassis will be establish

After I rebuild the VC, I can see all interfaces include master and backup member by show interfaces terse command,

but the backup switch still not forward any data traffic.

For my testing, I use 2 PCs one is cabling on master switch and other is cabling on the backup switch then they ping with each other and failed.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,

Dylen

• 8.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 08:32

run this command

#set system commit synchronize

#commit full

display the results of some >show virtual-chassis ?

>show virtual-chassis status

• 9.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 08:33

Standard stuff:

do you see link light on both interfaces PC's are plugged into?  Does show interface terse show those interfaces are up?  Perform show ethernet-switching table and do you see the PC MAC addresses showing up and associated with proper interface?

You could also configure a VLAN with these interfaces in it, add some L3 address to the VLAN, and then see if each PC can ping that IP - which would be IP associated with Master RE.  To check other switch, perform a Master switchover.

• 10.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 09:12

Hi rccpgm,

Thanks for your reminding. I also tested two PCs connected to master switch then they can ping with each other until they connected to the different member switch, the connection is unreachable. 

I agree your point. But as my knowledge, Virtual Chassis is interconnected two or more switches as a single logical switch, so I should be able to ping each other from the two PCs regardless which member switch connected to them physically. Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Regards,

Dylen

• 11.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 09:19

Yes you are correct. Why are you not posting the resuls of the show commands requested to view the vc status, statistics, path, interface configurations, interface terse output, ethernet-switching table etc.

• 12.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 11:39
    Agree but I expecting that maybe your 2nd switch could be bad or have some issue besides setup or config.

Yes???

Sent from my iPhone

• 13.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 20:13

Hi all, 

Finally, I can ping with each other by add the command set interface ge-1/0/0~45 unit 0 family ethernet-switching.

But is it normal behavior? I suppose all interfaces should be act as ethernet switching mode under virtual chassis by default, or I need to add ethernet switching on all other member switch manually when I build VC each time? 

• 14.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-02-2017 20:44

You do not have to configure all interfaces for ethernet-switching in order for it work. If the interface in question is required then yes. You do not have to manually configure each interface individualy. In fact there re several different ways you can configure eth-sw

You can use configuration groups to ensure that all interfaces are configured for ethernet switching, you can use interface-range member, interface-range member-range, and various combinations. Please mark your answer as the solution.

• 15.  RE: 2 members Virtual chassis traffic handling

Posted 08-03-2017 10:52

As