Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

ARP TABLE JUNIPER 2300 with Solarwinds

‎06-10-2019 09:45 AM
Hi there
  I need to know how I can get a complete arp table (including interfaces that are not assigned a vlan) if I have a laptop plugged into a port that has no vlan. Right now only mac addresses to ports with an assigned vlan are showing up.To me that is a huge security risk. Can anyone help? Thanks Smiley Happy
5 REPLIES 5
Ethernet Switching

Re: ARP TABLE JUNIPER 2300 with Solarwinds

‎06-10-2019 10:32 AM
I assume your EX2300 is configured for L 2 only. That is no IRBs or L3 on any interface. In this case you’ll see no ARPs or IPs, only L2 MACs. This is expected behavior.

You’ll need to look for IP/ARP on your L3 device(s) and then map MAC on EX2300 if that is what you want.

Solar winds should be able to do all of this for you or some other App, like Space/ND.

Good luck.
Ethernet Switching

‎06-12-2019 12:47 PM

Agree with rc, 

The arp table is displayed with >show arp,  if you dont have L3 in the switch its not translating anything so no need for arps.

I help you, you help me... please share a Kudos or accepted solution whenever you feel I have helped with your problem! Smiley Happy
Ethernet Switching

‎06-12-2019 02:59 PM

To see the mac addresses associated with layer 2 interfaces use this command.

show ethernet-switching table

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎06-13-2019 03:51 AM

Hi 

If the switch is in L2 mode then without vlan assignment you might not see the mac address in the ethernet switching table. Even if you receive any traffic on that port it will be discarded and the switch will not learn the mac address of the device. So it should not be a security issue as even to enable the mac-security you would need the mac to be learned first.

If the switch in in L3 mode then you should see the entry of the laptop ip in the arp table. But for that you need the irb L3 interface configured on the switch.

Ethernet Switching

‎06-13-2019 10:51 AM

Hi there,

with >show arp no-resolve  , you should be able to see the complete arp table, if switch is handling L3 traffic, i think in Solarwinds, you can do the same, however you need specific OID value to retrieve that data.

Hope this helps! 

Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.