Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Accept data VRRP

Posted 12-03-2014 05:33

Can someone please help in understanding the meaning of accept-data keyword in vrrp in juniper router.

Syntax

set interfaces <name> unit <name> family inet address x.x.x.x/y vrrp-group 2 accept-data

Regards

• 2.  RE: Accept data VRRP

Posted 12-03-2014 05:36

Determine whether or not a router that is acting as the master router accepts all packets destined for the virtual IP address.

Check this link:

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.3/topics/reference/configuration-statement/accept-data-edit-interfaces.html

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 3.  RE: Accept data VRRP

Posted 12-03-2014 06:08

Thanks Parau

I had gone thorugh this links but facing some issue in understanding this

Description

In a Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) configuration, determine whether or not a router that is acting as the master router accepts all packets destined for the virtual IP address.

# here what is meaning by all packets, is all packets are (traffic OAM and ARP request) packet.

• accept-data—Enable the master router to accept all packets destined for the virtual IP address.
    • no-accept-data—Prevent the master router from accepting packets other than the ARP packets destined for the virtual IP address.

# if i use no-accept-data, so how the traffic will be processed.

If the router acting as the master router is the IP address owner or has its priority set to 255, the master router, by default, responds to all packets sent to the virtual IP address. However, if the router acting as the master router does not own the IP address or has its priority set to a value less than 255, the master router responds only to ARP requests.

# if the router is not owning the ip address or the priority is less then 255 then master will only respond to arp request, does that mean it will not proccess other packets apart from arp, if so will it be dropped or proccessed by secondary router.

Please help in understanding this. Thanks!!

• 4.  RE: Accept data VRRP

Posted 12-04-2014 02:59

hi,

just short comment: without  accept-data the VRRP master (not address owner, priority < 255) will no answer ping/ssh/etc to VRRP address. It's VRRP RFC behaviour.

Without accept-data you will not able to ping VRRP address, also it will no accept ssh/telnet on it.

In many cases I enable accept-data, so users can ping default gateway address.

jtb

• 5.  RE: Accept data VRRP

Posted 02-19-2019 13:20

so should i always set priority to 255 or just configure accept data...what is the best practice....Thank goodness i found this post ..as i could not ping my vrrp address!!!!

• 6.  RE: Accept data VRRP

Posted 02-19-2019 15:42

You need to have accept data enabled for the ping response to work.

This is the most common deploy that I've seen.  Never worked anywhere where this was not implemented.

• 7.  RE: Accept data VRRP

Posted 12-18-2014 17:26

jtb is correct. By default, if you wanted to run some ping test from a client to see if it can reach the default gateway (VIP addres), it will not respond; that is by the design of the VRRP protocol. So in order to allow the virtual IP address to respond to ping tests, you must configure the accept-data option.

Accept_Mode                 Controls whether a virtual router in
                                   Master state will accept packets
                                   addressed to the address owner's IPvX
                                   address as its own if it is not the IPvX
                                   address owner.  The default is False.
                                   Deployments that rely on, for example,
                                   pinging the address owner's IPvX address
                                   may wish to configure Accept_Mode to
                                   True.