Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Access to WLAN AP lost when port switched to trunk mode

Posted 10-07-2009 07:02

Hi,

I have an HP Colubris MSM310 wireless LAN access point attached to an EX 4200 series switch (with Junos 9.6 R1.13). When I started to configure the AP, I attached it to an access point that is member of the default VLAN (with VLAN ID 1):

ge-0/0/4 {
        description "Accesspoint AP03";
        unit 0 {
            family ethernet-switching {
                port-mode access;
            }
        }

}

Now I wanted to add some more SSIDs at the AP and link them to different VLANs. To prepare that on the switch side, I changed the port the trunk mode and set the VLAN membership and native VLAN configuration details:

ge-0/0/4 {
        description "Accesspoint AP03";
        unit 0 {
            family ethernet-switching {
                port-mode trunk;
                vlan {
                    members [ default Quarantine ];
                }
                native-vlan-id 1;
            }
        }
    }

But immediatly after I commit that changes, I lose the contact to my AP. This is very confusing as through the native-vlan-id 1 statement, it should continue to be perfectly reachable over the untagged packets as it has been before the commit.

I verified that there is no issue with spanning tree (which the AP supports): the port is in forwarding state. Also the log file does not show any entry regarding that port.

If I do a monitor traffice interface ge-0/0/4 I see only outgoing packets from STP and LLDP.

Regards,

Dominik

Message Edited by Dominik on 10-07-2009 04:24 PM

• 2.  RE: Access to WLAN AP lost when port switched to trunk mode
    Best Answer

Posted 10-08-2009 07:06

Found the fault on my own. I had a typo in the AP's VLAN config. Therefore, when the switch sends packets with the VLAN ID 1 they were descarded.

Regards,

Dominik