Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Aggregated ethernet

‎04-26-2019 05:26 AM

Hi All

I have 2x EX2300-48T switches that I have just enabled aggregated ethernet on. Both are running the same version (15.1X53-D590) with pretty much 98% identical configuration on, 1 switch has problems, whilst the other does not.

My problem is that one switch after enabing AE and making my first ae group of 4 members, I noticed 2 servers go offline, the two servers are not aggregated ports, I thought my config was wrong, so I rolled back the change but the problem was still persistent. I re-did the configuration and then deactivated and re-activated the ports that was causing problems and problem fixed.

The problem is that from a Juniper side of things, the interfaces were up and from monitoring the traffic "monitor interface traffic" showed ports were all up and input and output packets increasing, the only way I knew which ports had problems, was becuase I have labelled the ports.

I left this for a few days and have had no other problems, so I made my second group of 4 ports and same thing happened, but this time two differnet ports decided not to work and this time a deactivate and re-activate didn't solve the problem, I had to reboot the switch for it work.

The only real differece between the one that has problems and the one that doesn't is that:

- For the switch that works, it has 5 AE ports configured with 2 ports per AE interface

- For the siwtch that has problems, it has 9 AE ports configured with 4 ports per AE interface (only have setup 2 out of the 9 currently) .

Does anyone have an idea as to what minght be the problem?

Also not knowing atlot on the JunOS can I upgrade these to the JTAC recommended 18.1R3 firmware as they are on the latest version of 15 and not sure if I can jump a major version?

Snippet of my config is below.

set chassis aggregated-devices ethernet device-count 9
set interfaces ge-0/0/6 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
set interfaces ge-0/0/6 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/6 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/6 unit 0
set interfaces ge-0/0/8 ether-options 802.3ad ae0
set interfaces ge-0/0/8 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/8 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/8 unit 0
set interfaces ge-0/0/11 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
set interfaces ge-0/0/11 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/11 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/11 unit 0
set interfaces ge-0/0/14 ether-options 802.3ad ae0
set interfaces ge-0/0/14 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/14 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/14 unit 0
set interfaces ge-0/0/15 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
set interfaces ge-0/0/15 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/15 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/15 unit 0
set interfaces ge-0/0/16 ether-options 802.3ad ae1
set interfaces ge-0/0/16 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/16 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/16 unit 0
set interfaces ge-0/0/21 ether-options 802.3ad ae0
set interfaces ge-0/0/21 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/21 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/21 unit 0
set interfaces ge-0/0/34 ether-options 802.3ad ae0
set interfaces ge-0/0/34 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ge-0/0/34 unit 0 family ethernet-switching storm-control default
deactivate interfaces ge-0/0/34 unit 0
set interfaces ae0 description "'QC-RH-07'"
set interfaces ae0 mtu 9200
set interfaces ae0 aggregated-ether-options lacp active
set interfaces ae0 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set interfaces ae1 description "'QC-RH-04'"
set interfaces ae1 mtu 9200
set interfaces ae1 aggregated-ether-options lacp active
set interfaces ae1 unit 0 family ethernet-switching vlan members Infrastructure
set protocols rstp interface ae0
set protocols rstp interface ae1

Thanks Jason

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: Aggregated ethernet

‎04-26-2019 08:34 AM

Try to remove the family ethernet-switching part of the configuration from your ge-0/0/x interfaces. The only needed configuration for a physical interface participating in an AE is the ether-options 802.3ad aeX. The rest of the configuration should be done on ae interface.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Juniper Ambassador & Technology Architect, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-23-2019 04:38 AM

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the reply and apologies on just getting back to it now. I have just done another 4 ports as part of a new AE configuration and removed the ethernet-switching from ge-0/0/x and same thing, it locked out traffic passing random ports, they weren't the same ports as last time. I had to do a complete reboot for it to come back up, once back up the AE configuration is working and all traffic is passing through it.

As i mentioned I had no issues setting up these on the other EX2300 I have which as soon as i committed the configuration, I had no problems.

We have EX2300-48T running 15.1X53-59.3 (latest on version 15)  can I download 18.4 and do an upgrade on firmware straight from 15 to v18.4

Thanks Jason

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-30-2019 01:02 PM

According to policy, Support for upgrades and downgrades that span more than three Junos OS releases at a time is not provided, except for releases that are designated as Extended End-of-Life (EEOL) releases.

You case use the following path,

15.1X53-59.3 >>> 18.2 >>> 18.4

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/topic-collections/release-not...

Upgrade and Downgrade Support Policy for Junos OS Releases

Support for upgrades and downgrades that span more than three Junos OS releases at a time is not provided, except for releases that are designated as Extended End-of-Life (EEOL) releases. EEOL releases provide direct upgrade and downgrade paths—you can upgrade directly from one EEOL release to the next EEOL release even though EEOL releases generally occur in increments beyond three releases.

You can upgrade or downgrade to the EEOL release that occurs directly before or after the currently installed EEOL release, or to two EEOL releases before or after. For example, Junos OS Releases 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3 are EEOL releases. You can upgrade from Junos OS Release 17.1 to Release 17.2 or from Junos OS Release 17.1 to Release 17.3.

You cannot upgrade directly from a non-EEOL release to a release that is more than three releases ahead or behind. To upgrade or downgrade from a non-EEOL release to a release more than three releases before or after, first upgrade to the next EEOL release and then upgrade or downgrade from that EEOL release to your target release.

For more information about EEOL releases and to review a list of EEOL releases, see