Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Can a VC be migrated from 10G SFP+ to 40G QSFP+ live?

Posted 08-08-2017 07:46
    Hello jnet community,

I have a 6 node EX4600 vitual chassis that was initially installed over 10G SFP+ links while the 40G QSFP+ cables are on the way. Is it possible to switch the VC links without downtime? Would adding the 40g links with "request virtual-chassis vc-port set ..." Configure the VC ports with both 10g and 40g links? I know that the different media will not LAG together into in the VCs.

These switches are iSCSI so no interruption can occur with connected hosts. I would love to be able to do this live.

Thanks
    #virtual-connectex4600

• 2.  RE: Can a VC be migrated from 10G SFP+ to 40G QSFP+ live?
    Best Answer

Posted 08-08-2017 08:03
    Yes you can, but nothing can guarantee that some interruption won't occur when it comes to making changes to traffic transport paths, especially with something as finicky as iscsi. I would schedule a maintenance window and take the opportunity to upgrade to latest recommended firmware while you're at it if no unplanned disruption is acceptable.

• 3.  RE: Can a VC be migrated from 10G SFP+ to 40G QSFP+ live?

Posted 08-08-2017 08:14
    That was my feeling. Doing this in a maintenance window is sage advice in most cases when dealing with iscsi.

Thank you smicker