Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Chassis Alarm Potential slow peers are: spmd When Fusion Configured

‎04-13-2017 09:07 AM

Hello All,

I have two EX9204 in an mc-lag configuration on JunOS 17.1 and whenever Fusion is configured, both chassis throw a system alarm.  I have a Fusion configured as a satellite-management cluster consisting of two EX3400-24T.  Anybody have any ideas what this alarm means and/or how to rectify?

> show system alarms
1 alarms currently active
Alarm time Class Description
2017-04-12 18:52:34 PDT Minor Potential slow peers are: spmd

Thanks,

J

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: Chassis Alarm Potential slow peers are: spmd When Fusion Configured

‎04-16-2017 07:51 AM

This seems to be a potential issue with the PFE on the switches based on this description.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/chassis-slow-pfe-alarm-co...

I would open a JTAC ticket on this one to have a deeper dive the the queues on all the devices involved when the alarms occur.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎04-17-2017 10:47 AM

Thanks Spuluka for that insight.

I opened a ticket with JTAC and they are currently investigating.  Hopefully I can get this resolved sooner than later!

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎04-17-2017 04:20 PM

What is your case number?  Did you include show log chassisd and show log messages into the case files?  If not please add these and I may be able to get someone else to look at this.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎04-18-2017 01:38 PM

Hey, thanks for assisting!  It will be much appreciated as it's holding me up from starting to roll this into production.

Current case number is 2017-0413-0577, and preceeding case number was 2017-0329-0957 as that one was what let me to discover this chassis alarm/warning.  I am very curious to see what you or your colleagues are able to discover. 

I will upload the latest logs but what I noticed and able to replicate consistently is whenever Fusion is configured, the alarm will appear 5-8 minutes afterwards and will disappear once I take Fusion out of the configuration.

Thanks for any assistance!

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎04-26-2017 09:55 PM

HI

There is already an internal PR/Discussion happening on this log message.

Would suggest you to please open a JTAC ticket.

Thanks

Partha

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-03-2017 04:14 PM

As an update for everyone, a PR has been elevated.  I've been also informed that this warning alarm is pretty much benign and it occurs only upon the restart of the SPMD daemon.  Technical explanation is as follows:

There is no issue when the device comes up with fusion configuration for the first time. Issue is seen only when re-spawned with a new process id, which can be achieved by just restarting the SPMD daemon.

SPMD rtsock client is in stuck state due to processed ifstate ack is not 0. unless the ifstate that's acked is 0. rtsock client will continue to be in stuck state hence the alarm is noticed. Even though, ifsmon shows the states acked by SPMD is 100%, this issue is still seen. Looking further into the code to root-cause the issue.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎05-03-2017 04:41 PM

Thanks for the update and keep us posted.  

Also if you could add the PR number for reference that would be great.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Feedback