Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Client getting IPv6 address from both DHCPv6 and SLAAC

Posted 06-12-2019 08:09

I have a setup where I'm trying to just use DHCPv6 for address assignment.  I've got the following on my RA and from my understanding "managed-configuration" is supposed to set the M bit and I've confirmed that this is set from a wireshark trace but the client is still also receiving an address from slaac.  Is this normal?  I thought the M bit was supposed to tell the client to get all its info from DHCPv6.

show protocols router-advertisement
    interface irb.406 {
    managed-configuration;

prefix xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64;

}

• 2.  RE: Client getting IPv6 address from both DHCPv6 and SLAAC
    Best Answer

Posted 06-12-2019 08:50

Hi,

Could you try no-autonomous option under the prefix 

prefix 2001:200::/64 {
                    no-autonomous;
                }

------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution.

• 3.  RE: Client getting IPv6 address from both DHCPv6 and SLAAC

Posted 06-12-2019 08:51

Update: Figured out what was going on.  I needed to unset the A bit as well with " set protocols router-advertisement interface irb.406 prefix xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64 no-autonomous

EDIT:  Thanks, pradkm.  I figured it out before I saw your post but I'll mark it as solution anyway.

• 4.  RE: Client getting IPv6 address from both DHCPv6 and SLAAC

Posted 06-12-2019 08:51
    Hi,

Removing the prefix statement "prefix xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64;" from the configuration should stop the RA from advertising an IP address to the connected client.

Yes, the knob "managed-configuration" is to set the M bit which is to inform the client that the stateful autoconfiguration is available for use.
    Reference: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/managed-configuration-edit-protocols-router-advertisement.html

To enable DHCPv6 only advertisement, setting the M flag is not enough but also clear the A flag which is probably done by removing the prefix configuration.

Thanks,
    Pradeep
    Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

Juniper Internal