Switching

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable

Posted 08-02-2019 06:49

Hello,

The client only ran 1 cable to each switch.   We cannot get them to run 2 cables to each switch.

They need to remotely manage them.   They do not want to have to introduce mini switches to split the network and connect to the management and the trunk/main connection to the firewall.

On the first switch I took out of the box, I was able to connect the trunk on port 0/0 and get internet.    I had port 0/1 connected to the management switch in the back.   It worked

On the second switch I tried the same thing and it didn’t work.   If I plug the trunk into the management port first then move it over after I’ve connected it works fine.

• 2.  RE: Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable
    Best Answer

Posted 08-02-2019 08:02

Hi Jimbo55,

I was searching for existing documentation, If I were to understand the question properly you want to use a network port as a management port instead of using a dedicated port for management? Is that right?

Please check and see if this helps:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/nfx150-configuring-inband-management-interface.html

Kudos if that helps, mark "accept as solution" to help others find the answer instead of them reposting 🙂

-Nex

• 3.  RE: Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable

Posted 08-02-2019 08:04

I was hoping to figure out why the management ports seems to need to be initiated before the rest of the switch works.

But suppose I wanted to make port 0/1 (the second port) the management port could I make it work provided the port 0/0 was connnected to the firewall ( would I be able to do that with nothing plugged in on 0/1)? 

Again my goal is to have only 1 network cable going back to teh rest of the network and make the switch accessible by IP address from the rest of the network and still supply network functions to the rest of the ports on that switch.   This seems very odd to me as the other 6 brands of switches I program don't seem to require you to give up a network port for management.    So if there is a way to program the SWITCH to have the management IP and not require a port be given up to manage it that would be ideal.

• 4.  RE: Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable

Posted 08-02-2019 10:20

You don't need to dedicate a switchport for management, and I'm not aware of this being done in practice. EIther use an existing vlan interface IP for mgmt, or create a dedicated vlan for management. Then trunk this vlan upstream.

• 5.  RE: Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable

Posted 08-02-2019 11:13

THanks, I appreciate it - is there any way you can point me to a brief article that explains just what I want done - the only thing I could find was this novel - 

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/irb-and-bridging.html

I do not currently have any VLANs.

• 6.  RE: Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable

Posted 08-07-2019 05:37

Thanks, I verified.   My only two options are to set up vlans internally for a  single cable or to run a second cable.    I did find oddly enough on the 24 por ex2300 I can just run a cable to 0/0 from the internet and from say 0/1 or 0/2 (or any port) to the me in the back and I can do it that way but it doesn't work on the 48 port version.

Thanks for your assistance.

• 7.  RE: Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable

Posted 08-07-2019 05:48

@jimbo55 wrote:

@jimbo55 wrote:

Thanks, I verified.   My only two options are to set up vlans internally for a  single cable or to run a second cable.    I did find oddly enough on the 24 por ex2300 I can just run a cable to 0/0 from the internet and from say 0/1 or 0/2 (or any port) to the me in the back and I can do it that way but it doesn't work on the 48 port version.

Thanks for your assistance.

Your last statement makes no sense to me, as 24 port and 48 port versions of EX2300 should work exactly the same, outside of number of interfaces.  I suspect there maybe an error on your side.

• 8.  RE: Connecting both the management port and the connection to another switch or the firewall with 1 cable

Posted 08-07-2019 17:34
     I did find oddly enough on the 24 por ex2300 I can just run a cable to 0/0 from the internet and from
    say 0/1 or 0/2 (or any port) to the me in the back and I can do it that way but it doesn't work on the
    48 port version.

There is no difference in the handling of the me port on the 24 and 48 port hardware.  So there is something else going on that your manual connection from me to an front panel port is not working.  Probably routing related where the traffic is asymmetrical in some way.  We can troubleshoot that if you want.