Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports

Posted 05-14-2010 07:47

Hi

I have a stream of traffic marked as DSCP 184 and/or ToS7 coming into a ex4200 on a trunk port. I would expect that the EX4200 would put this traffic into the expedite forwarding queue but it puts it into the best effort queue. Is thus the correct behaviour?

regards

Aindriu

• 2.  RE: Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports

Posted 05-14-2010 09:00

Hi,

to make the switch honor either 802.1p bits or DSCP marking, you have to apply Behavior aggregate filters. Have a look at this part of the JUNOS doc:

http://jnpr.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos90/swconfig-cos/classifying-packets-by-behavior-aggregate.html

Regards,

Dominik

• 3.  RE: Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports

Posted 05-16-2010 09:24

Hi

I see what you mean, all traffic except dscp 192-224 is treated as best effort. I added the following config to the EX4200 thinking it would categorise ef and CS5 to the expedited forwarding queue but it didn't. Am I missing something simple?

set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd forwarding-class expedited-forwarding loss-priority low code-points ef
    set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd forwarding-class expedited-forwarding loss-priority low code-points cs5
    set class-of-service interfaces ge-0/0/9 scheduler-map ExpFrd
    set class-of-service scheduler-maps ExpFrd forwarding-class expedited-forwarding scheduler ExpFrd
    set class-of-service schedulers ExpFrd buffer-size percent 10
    set class-of-service schedulers ExpFrd priority strict-high

The traffic coming in and out of port ge-0/0/9 is marked as dscp 160 CS5 by the CPE but under the stats all traffic is still in the best effort queue:

Queue counters:       Queued packets  Transmitted packets      Dropped packets
        0 best-effort                    0             17748437                    0
        1 assured-forw                   0                    0                    0
        5 expedited-fo                   0                    0                    0
        7 network-cont                   0                   71                    0

The comfiguration is applied to the interface as under the sh int ge-0/0/9 ext I see the following:

Packet Forwarding Engine configuration:
        Destination slot: 0
        Direction : Output
        CoS transmit queue               Bandwidth               Buffer Priority   Limit
                                  %            bps     %           usec
        5 expedited-forwarding    r              r    10             NA strict-high    none

Any ideas welcomed

Thanks

Aindriu

• 4.  RE: Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports

Posted 05-17-2010 02:21

Hi,

you should apply your classifier on your ingress port which cannot be the same port as egress (just consider one traffic direction). ge-0/0/9 is egress, just take you ingress port (e.g. ge-0/0/1) and do following:

set class-of-service interfaces ge-0/0/1 unit 0 classifiers dscp ExpFrd

Extend you ExpFrd with the following statement:

set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd import default

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 5.  RE: Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports

Posted 05-17-2010 03:45

Hi Mike

I tried that but it looks the same, traffic in the be queue. As you can see from the config below I also tried to add dscp 000000 to the EF queue but the trafic stats still say that the trafic is in the BE queue. Port ge-0/0/9 & ge-0/0/0 are access ports would this be an issue?

set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd import default
    set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd forwarding-class expedited-forwarding loss-priority low code-points ef
    set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd forwarding-class expedited-forwarding loss-priority low code-points cs5
    set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd forwarding-class expedited-forwarding loss-priority low code-points 000000
    set class-of-service interfaces ge-0/0/0 scheduler-map ExpFrd
    set class-of-service interfaces ge-0/0/9 scheduler-map ExpFrd
    set class-of-service scheduler-maps ExpFrd forwarding-class expedited-forwarding scheduler ExpFrd
    set class-of-service schedulers ExpFrd buffer-size percent 10
    set class-of-service schedulers ExpFrd priority strict-high

regards & Thanks

Aindriu

• 6.  RE: Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports

Posted 05-17-2010 03:53

Hi,

you did not apply your classifier!

set class-of-service interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 classifiers dscp ExpFrd

set class-of-service interfaces ge-0/0/9 unit 0 classifiers dscp ExpFrd

Regards

Michael Pergament

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

• 7.  RE: Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports

Posted 05-17-2010 04:30

Hi Mike

That works fine. My last question is:

Do you need to define the classfier and assign it to all relevant interfaces , can you not just define the classifier and install is as the default behaviour for all links? I would have thought that the 'set class-of-service classifiers dscp ExpFrd import default' command would do this? Also unclassified traffic is that sent to the BE queue or to the default classifier?

Many thanks for the help

Aindriu

• 8.  RE: Default behaviour for CoS on trunk ports
    Best Answer

Posted 05-17-2010 04:39

Hi Aindriu,

you can easily put this classifier on all interfaces using wildcard:

interfaces {
        ge-* {
            unit 0 {
                classifiers {
                    dscp ExpFrd;
                }
            }
        }

Kind Regards

Michael Pergament