Ethernet Switching
Ethernet Switching

EAPS

‎04-30-2009 07:24 AM

Can any body make some comments about their experiences with EAPSv2.

I saw this in the lattest Data Sheet as a supported protocol.

Has any body tested this to work with an Extreme switch?

Regards

Marc

4 REPLIES 4
Ethernet Switching

Re: EAPS

‎05-04-2009 12:40 AM

EAPS was initially developed byExtreme-Networks, so I don't know why this question is in this forum.

Yes EAPS is now an RFC standard, but themajority of vendors are using other, more standard protocols like STP or RSTP.

EAPSV2 has been working fine since a longtime on Extreme-switches but again on Juniper Switches you will AFAIK findstandard spanning tree protocols.

On the other hand Juniper switchesintroduce something much better allowing you to build the L2 topology you wantwithout "blocking" ports ... it's called Virtual Chassis, and it muchmore efficient!

HTH  

Ethernet Switching

‎05-04-2009 12:46 AM

Oups

Wrote too fast

I can see like you in the datasheet the EAPS mention but never tested.

I must have a look at the technical documents to check if it's realy implemented ! 

Ethernet Switching

‎05-04-2009 05:57 AM

Loup2,

Thanks for your comments.

I just asked the question as I was surprised to see it included on the PDS.

I haqve been using Extreme switches and Juniper routers/FW's for the better part of a decade so I am aware of what VC can do.

EAPS has been a protocol I have used with tremendous success in some very large enterprise networks.

I have found it to be less difficult to configure especially when VLAN awareness is required.

I also found that troubleshooting EAPS to be a factor of 10 easier.

Another key benefit for EAPS is that it does not cause the stupid problems you get with BPDU transmission accross a L2 Metro service.  

Regards

Marc  

Ethernet Switching

‎05-07-2009 01:02 AM

Hi Marc

Can't achieve to find the ref in the datasheet anymore !!! I saw it but can't find it anymore. There is also no mention of this protocol in the technicall documentation ... up to 9.5.

I think that if we saw it, it was perhaps, like usual in datasheets,  some plans or dev on the roadmap (or some mistakes), so I believe only some Juniper technical sales people should clarify this!