Switching

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX VC w/ GE Ports

Posted 08-07-2012 07:17

I heard yesterday that you could use GE ports as VC ports.   Is this true?

I know you can use the 10G uplink module ports as VC ports, I've never heard of using a 1G port as a VC link.

• 2.  RE: EX VC w/ GE Ports
    Best Answer

Posted 08-07-2012 07:33

You can use a 1G SFP or SPF+ port as a VC port but I don't think you can use a 1000BASE-T port as a VC link.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.3/topics/task/configuration/virtual-chassis-ex4200-uplink-vcp-cli.html

"You can interconnect EX4200 switches that are beyond the reach of the Virtual Chassis cables as members of a Virtual Chassis configuration by using the SFP network ports—including the SFP uplink module, SFP+ uplink module, or XFP uplink module—and connecting the uplink ports . You can also use the SFP network ports for this purpose. To use the uplink ports or SFP network ports for interconnecting member switches, you must explicitly set the uplink ports as VCPs.

Note: You cannot set a 1000BASE-T copper SFP transceiver (EX-SFP-1GE-T) connection as a VCP."

• 3.  RE: EX VC w/ GE Ports

Posted 08-07-2012 08:42

@jcollazo wrote:

You can use a 1G SFP or SPF+ port as a VC port but I don't think you can use a 1000BASE-T port as a VC link.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.3/topics/task/configuration/virtual-chassis-ex4200-uplink-vcp-cli.html

"You can interconnect EX4200 switches that are beyond the reach of the Virtual Chassis cables as members of a Virtual Chassis configuration by using the SFP network ports—including the SFP uplink module, SFP+ uplink module, or XFP uplink module—and connecting the uplink ports . You can also use the SFP network ports for this purpose. To use the uplink ports or SFP network ports for interconnecting member switches, you must explicitly set the uplink ports as VCPs.

Note: You cannot set a 1000BASE-T copper SFP transceiver (EX-SFP-1GE-T) connection as a VCP."

Sweet. Thanks.  

Anyone ever have any issues using 1G ports as VC ports?