Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

EX switches Firmware

‎09-10-2014 07:22 AM

Hi,

How often firmware upgrade is required on Juniper switches?

And if those switches are in VC will the firmware upgrade be disruptive ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Sabih

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: EX switches Firmware

‎09-11-2014 01:25 PM

Hi Sabih,

By firmware upgrade I am guessing you are refering to a Junos upgrade.

There are only 3 reasons I would think of recommending an upgarde:

1. There is a known bug with a current version that you are experiancing issues with that will be fixed in a later version.

2. There is a known seurity flaw with a current version that will be fixed in a later version.

3. There are features you wish to use that are only supported by a later version.

Your business may have other policies such as ensureing you are within EOL (End Of Life) of your current version. This means JTAC will investigate any issues (so long as you have a support contract). If you approach them with an issue for a version that is outside EOL then the will almost certainly recommend a Junos upgrade.

Whether in a VC or not, an upgrade requires a reboot which will cause an outage on any ports associated with that member.

Hope this helps

JNCIE-ENT #552, JNCSP-ENT, JNCIP-SEC, JNCIP-SP, JNCIP-DC, JNCDS-DC, JNCDS-SEC, JNCDS-SP, CCNP, CCDA
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎09-12-2014 04:42 AM

Hi Regalis,

I know about Junos upgrade, i  was wondering about the boot loaders and the hardware firmware.

Is there a need to update that?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎09-12-2014 04:51 AM

Depends. jloader provides/fixes some low level functionalities that cannot be provided through regular Junos.

For instance, one of these is having resilient partitions.

Sometimes you need to upload the jloader because the current jloader is not working with newer hardware revisions of the platforms.

=====

If this worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.

Feedback