Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

EX to QFX 10gbe DAC Cable

‎12-22-2014 11:37 AM

Wondering if anyone is using these in production and if they have had any pushback from JTAC.

EX switches have there own 10gbe DAC part numbers. QFX have there own 10Gbe DAC part numbers. I have to believe they are the exact same hardware just different part numbers, but I can't confirm that. So I am wondering, does anyone have an standalone EX connected to a standalon QFX using either of the above DAC cables, and if so, is there any issues?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: EX to QFX 10gbe DAC Cable

‎12-22-2014 12:08 PM

It is a "standards based" cable.  It is designed to interconnect to mainly non-Juniper products, like servers, but can attached to ANY compatiable device/interface, be that Juniper or non-Juniper.  If you are trying to interconnect say an EX with a QFX, which cable P/N or SKU do they expect one to use, the EX one or the QFX one?  Some say chicken and egg!

What is your Juniper case number?  Will try and help.

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎12-22-2014 05:11 PM

rccpgm,

Thanks for the response, no case number, it was more of a "sitting at work and brain started to wander" type of question. Posted to the forum as I knew it was the best place to get an answer,

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎12-23-2014 08:53 AM
I've connected an EX3300 to a QFX5100 using the EX 10GbE DAC and it worked fine. On a similar note, there are separate part numbers for 10GbE MM SFPs for the EX series and the QFX series (we bought a bunch of both just in case), and they are the exact same thing down to the Finisar model number.
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

[ Edited ]
‎12-31-2014 12:48 AM
If you can get hold of a copy of this book:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033028.do

You will find an Optics Compatibility Matrix (inc. DAC) for EX and QFX on page 264.

For some reason I can't this info on the Juniper site.
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎12-31-2014 05:25 AM

The compatibility matrix in the book is not entirely accurate - I'm guessing it's a list of what's officially supported, rather than what actually works.

For example, the book lists the EX-SFP-10GE-LRM optical modules and the EX-QSFP-40GE-DAC-50cm cables as incompatible with the QFX5100, but I'm using them right now with no issues.

Feedback