Switching

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4200 rate limit issue

Posted 05-16-2014 06:21

Hi guys.

I've been trying to limit the speed of incoming UDP traffic at EX4200 with no luck.

Please have a look at the following config.

# show firewall policer udp-ratelimit
    filter-specific;
    if-exceeding {
        bandwidth-limit 300m;
        burst-size-limit 10k;
    }
    then discard;

# show firewall family inet filter udp-rate-limit
    term t1 {
        from {
            protocol udp;
        }
        then {
            policer udp-ratelimit;
            count UDP_all;
        }
    }
    term def {
        then accept;
    }

# show interfaces vlan unit 1 family inet filter
    input udp-rate-limit;

I've tested the connection using iperf (Linux utility) and rate limiting is not working at all.

What do I do wrong?

• 2.  RE: EX4200 rate limit issue

Posted 05-17-2014 00:12

Were you able to use iperf to send more than 300 megs with bursts of 10 k to the vlan.1 interface? Try lowering the to number just to test, say about 5m and then gradually increase it just to at least ensure that it works.

Do a quick test. remove the policer action from the filter and see if it is counting the UDP packets.

• 3.  RE: EX4200 rate limit issue

Posted 05-19-2014 00:12

@lyndidon wrote:

Were you able to use iperf to send more than 300 megs with bursts of 10 k to the vlan.1 interface? Try lowering the to number just to test, say about 5m and then gradually increase it just to at least ensure that it works.

Do a quick test. remove the policer action from the filter and see if it is counting the UDP packets.

I've already tried this with no luck.

• 4.  RE: EX4200 rate limit issue

Posted 05-18-2014 05:59

You haven't mentioned how you are testing the rate limit, or what type of traffic you are trying to rate limit?

What you have configured there is a RACL which will apply to traffic received from vlan 1 if and only if it is being routed via the vlan.1 RVI (in other words, destined for an IP address NOT in that VLAN) - if this is what you are trying for does vlan.1 have an IP address?

If you are trying to rate-limit all ingress traffic into VLAN 1 from any port, to any other port, you will need to change your configuration to make it a VACL:

set firewall family ethernet-switching filter udp-rate-limit
    set vlans v1 filter input udp-rate-limit

Hope this helps

• 5.  RE: EX4200 rate limit issue

Posted 05-19-2014 00:14

@dfex wrote:

You haven't mentioned how you are testing the rate limit, or what type of traffic you are trying to rate limit?

What you have configured there is a RACL which will apply to traffic received from vlan 1 if and only if it is being routed via the vlan.1 RVI (in other words, destined for an IP address NOT in that VLAN) - if this is what you are trying for does vlan.1 have an IP address?

If you are trying to rate-limit all ingress traffic into VLAN 1 from any port, to any other port, you will need to change your configuration to make it a VACL:

Hope this helps

I have an IPv4 at the interface vlan.1 so the interface is an RVI. Thus I can't apply ethernet-switching family rules.

This IP address is a gateway for the whole network so all of the traffic is routed through vlan.1 interface.

• 6.  RE: EX4200 rate limit issue
    Best Answer

Posted 05-19-2014 15:48

Hope this helps

I have an IPv4 at the interface vlan.1 so the interface is an RVI. Thus I can't apply ethernet-switching family rules.

This IP address is a gateway for the whole network so all of the traffic is routed through vlan.1 interface.

The above suggestion from DFX is applied on the vlan not the vlan interface

• 7.  RE: EX4200 rate limit issue

Posted 05-25-2014 23:59

@lyndidon wrote:

Thank you! It works like a magic 🙂