Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4300-48T and EX4300-32F Virtual chassis in Mixed mode questions

Posted 12-21-2018 15:07

Hi everyone,

1)As per Juniper doc. ex4300-48T and EX4300-32F can be configured in Virtual chassis  without mixed mode.

What if we still configure them as mixed mode?  The reason I said that later on if we have to add another say EX4200  into the Virtual chassis , then we do not need to go back and change the mode to mixed. Am I correct?  we must not use mixed mode when connecting EX 4300-48T and EX4300-32F?

2) Juniper doc says

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/ex4300-hardware-overview.html#jd0e210

Virtual Chassis

You can interconnect a maximum of 10 EX4300 switches to form a Virtual Chassis. You can operate these interconnected switches as a single, logical device with a single IP address.

You can use the following ports to configure an EX4300 switch in a Virtual Chassis:

• For 24-port and 48-port EX4300 switches except EX4300-48MP and EX4300-48MP-S switches:

• QSFP+ ports configured as VCPs

• SFP+ uplink module ports configured as VCPs

• For 32-port EX4300 switches:

• QSFP+ ports (built-in) or QSFP+ uplink module ports configured as VCPs

• SFP+ uplink module ports configured as VCPs

NOTE

The four built-in SFP+ ports on 32-port EX4300 switches cannot be configured as VCPs.

Is that correct we can not use built-in SFP+ ports for Virtual chassis ?

Thanks and have a nice weekend!!

• 2.  RE: EX4300-48T and EX4300-32F Virtual chassis in Mixed mode questions
    Best Answer

Posted 12-21-2018 16:22
    There are limitations to the mixed-mode virtual chassis compatibilities. I don't think you can cross generations of switches due to the fact they are completely different ASIC manufacturer's. Reference this documentation: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/virtual-chassis-ex-qfx-series-mixed-understanding.html Also, pick a version of Junos release notes and go look at known issues. In my experience, I found the list of known issues in mixed mode virtual chassis to be enough to keep me away from it. If you can, I would recommend keeping it simple and avoid getting too creative with mixed-mode virtual chassis.

• 3.  RE: EX4300-48T and EX4300-32F Virtual chassis in Mixed mode questions

Posted 12-22-2018 07:43

Thanks for the response.

I was just curious  how would Virtual  Chassis behave  I used the wrong mode.  As per your links, Juniper has listed the possible combinations  for EX 4300 and what mode they should be set to. What happens if we do not se the mode right?

Unfortunately, I did not have the hardware to test so I thought somebody may have done it and share his/her experience.

Have a nice weekend!!