Switching

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  EX4600-EM-8F in Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-15-2020 00:20

Bonjour,

Before using the expansion cards in my virtual chassis ( 3 x EX4600), i search documentation on juniper sites .... I found a document quite short, saying the cards have hot swap capabilities and no particuliar warning.

So I've inserted the cards (1 by switch) .... and the switches begin a reboot process stoping te full VC !

Is this the correct behavior ? if yes this should be indicated in the docs ....

• 2.  RE: EX4600-EM-8F in Virtual Chassis
    Best Answer

Posted 07-15-2020 00:39

Hi,

Here is document for adding/removing the expansion cards.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/topic-map/ex4600-maintaining-expansion-module.html

However, there is a note mentioned as below:

The EX4600 is configured for the QFX-EM-4Q by default, but any combination of the two modules is supported. Expansion modules can be hot-inserted or hot-removed. However, when an EX4600-EM-8F is inserted instead of the default QFX-EM-4Q, the PFE reboots and all of the interfaces on the switch and expansion module temporarily go down. Likewise when an EX4600-EM-8F is running on the EX4600 and it is swapped with a QFX-EM-4Q, all of the interfaces temporarily go down, which can cause a short disruption in traffic.

Was this the case in your scenario ?

If this solves your problem, please consider to mark this post as "Accepted Solution".

Best Regards,

Mohamed

• 3.  RE: EX4600-EM-8F in Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-15-2020 00:46

Hi JL Oms, 

Bonjour , 

I checked our documentation and this is expected behaviour. 

• The EX4600 is configured for the QFX-EM-4Q by default, but any combination of the two modules is supported. Expansion modules can be hot-inserted or hot-removed.
    • However, when an EX4600-EM-8F is inserted instead of the default QFX-EM-4Q, the PFE reboots and all of the interfaces on the switch and expansion module temporarily go down. 
    • Link : Installing an Expansion Module in an EX4600 Switch 

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Sharat Ainapur

• 4.  RE: EX4600-EM-8F in Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-15-2020 01:15

Hello JL,

there is always a difference in what is supported and what is working correctly. Hot-swapping a module is such a case, it CAN and SHOULD work with supported platforms, but depending on the stability of the code, sometimes it just does not work.

If you want to be safe, plan a maintenance window for this, halt the device, plug in the module(s) and reboot the device. This works all of the time.

• 5.  RE: EX4600-EM-8F in Virtual Chassis

Posted 07-15-2020 10:16

Ok ... I have read too quickly the doc .... thanks for the answer.