Ethernet Switching
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

EX4600 recommanded frimware standard or service?

‎10-09-2018 11:55 AM

Hi, Guys

I was looked at topic of Junos recommanded software version. But I found the release type is "standard/service". They are different as 14.1 and 17.3.  I am confused that which version I have to use.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476

All suggestion and recommantion will be helpful.

Eric

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

Re: EX4600 recommanded frimware standard or service?

‎10-09-2018 12:44 PM

It overall depends on your requirement in regards to feature need and how conservative you are. The standard release is the conservative one.

On EX4600 there is not much difference between 14.1 and 17.3: https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/compare-softwares.html?category=Switching&typ=1#bm=cmpsw&p...

Personally I would go for 17.3R3-S1 if there no strict requirements to stay on 14.1... it will in general be easier to be on a more recent Junos.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Juniper Ambassador & Technology Architect, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)
Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎10-10-2018 07:41 AM

Thanks, Jon. I am wondering if the version 17.3R1 more reliable then 14.x? I will try to use the new version on a brand new switch.

Eric

Highlighted
Ethernet Switching

‎10-10-2018 11:06 AM

It's difficult to say - but overall it should be the same. "R1" are the earliest release so in generel R2 or R3 should include more bugfixes and therefore more stability. On top of this is service releases (S) which are pure bugfix releases for a specific release - eg. 17.3R3-S1.

As stated I would go with 17.3R3-S1 in your scenario as it's a new implementation so no need to start on 14.1X53.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Juniper Ambassador & Technology Architect, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)