Switching

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about EX and QFX portfolios and all switching solutions across your data center, campus, and branch locations.
  • 1.  Feature similar to Cisco Express Forwarding present in Juniper ?

Posted 05-29-2013 10:39

hi,

I am new to Juniper switches. I had a question - Cisco switches have a feaure for forwarding to create FIBs that is as soon as the entry is added in RIB the route is updated in FIB (with next hop and outgoing interface resolved)  and so all packets will be handled by hardware. NOT even a single packet will be handled by Software. this feature is called Cisco Express Forwarding. do we have something similar option in juniper ?

thanks.

#forwarding
    #switches

• 2.  RE: Feature similar to Cisco Express Forwarding present in Juniper ?

Posted 05-30-2013 01:34

Hello,

@Jiten Shah wrote:

hi,

I am new to Juniper switches. I had a question - Cisco switches have a feaure for forwarding to create FIBs that is as soon as the entry is added in RIB the route is updated in FIB (with next hop and outgoing interface resolved)  and so all packets will be handled by hardware. NOT even a single packet will be handled by Software.

Urban legend.

In CSCO products which support CEF, locally-addressed packets/broadcasts/packets with IP options etc are always "handled in Software" a.k.a. "punted to Route Processor".

do we have something similar option in juniper ?

thanks.

Juniper HW-based routers and switches have distinctly separated RIB and FIB if that's Your question. In Juniper HW-based routers and switches, it is not possible to disable packet handling in the hardware and handle all packets in software.

HTH

Thanks

Alex